Old 22-10-2003, 09:02 PM
gizmo

Default CO2 bottle consumed after 2 weeks

Hi All,
Two weeks ago I've bought my first pressurized CO2 system - effect was
tremendous!
The sad thing it that the bottle(500grams) is now empty - frustrating...
The pressure was about 0.8 bar, bubble per second till you could not count
bubbles anymore - water pushed out from the diffuser PH 6.8 plants and fish
are happy. Did I do anything wrong in the setup ?
Vendor claims that it should last for 3 up to 8 months - depends on usage.
Is there a problem with the regulator ?

gizmo

Old 22-10-2003, 09:02 PM
RedForeman ©®

if it wasn't a leak, you may be bubbling too much, but without water
parameters, can't tell ya... the only way I can get water pushed out of the
diffuser is to open the regulator wide open, where it's pushign more CO2 out
than the water can 'absorb'

post your water parameters, your tap water and some guru here will chime
in..

Old 22-10-2003, 10:02 PM
gizmo

well the tan water is PH 6.8, GH 10 Don't know the KH yet - which I must
know....
The diffuser is like a glass shaped bell with a hard membrane that diffuses
the gas.
At first I could really see and counted the bubbles but after a few days no
more bubbles and there was only gas in the diffuser, this made a bit concern
but I did measure the PH twice a day was ok, no signs of stress so I figured
I was doing ok...Maybe I did Bubbled to much ? Not all of the bubbles were
fully diffused as you could see tiny bubbles at the water surface.

Old 23-10-2003, 03:03 AM
Iain Miller

"gizmo" wrote in message
Hi All,
Two weeks ago I've bought my first pressurized CO2 system - effect was
tremendous!
The sad thing it that the bottle(500grams) is now empty - frustrating...
The pressure was about 0.8 bar, bubble per second till you could not count
bubbles anymore - water pushed out from the diffuser PH 6.8 plants and

fish
are happy. Did I do anything wrong in the setup ?
Vendor claims that it should last for 3 up to 8 months - depends on usage.
Is there a problem with the regulator ?

Your "Vendor" hasn't got a clue what he's talking about! That said, how big
is your tank & how much were you lowering the Ph? It might last 2 to 4
months in a ten gallon & only injecting CO2 very lightly

I've got an 80USG tank with bottled CO2 & I use 7lb (3.25 Kilo) bottles -
they last about 6-7 months with the CO2 at about 15-20ppm.

You need to find a source of larger bottles. 500gr bottles are way too
expensive to run on permanently. The one that came with my kit is still
almost full - I just use it for a day or two when the big one runs out &
while I get around to getting it replaced.

rgds

I.

Old 23-10-2003, 07:42 AM
gizmo

Well the tank is 100 gallons...
The PH dropped from 7.2 to 6.8 and now stays there....
10c for the tip!

gizmo

Old 24-10-2003, 02:03 AM
Sidney

Did you "soap" all the lines and connections to make sure there was no leak?

That being said, your CO2 is very small! With a 100 gallon tank, I would
expect a 10 pound bottle to more appropriate - myself, a 20 pound for a 55
gallon tank. Granted it is overkill but, the cost difference was minimal
and, when I upgrade to the tank I'm saving for, 225 gallon, I'll be set.
The 500 gram bottle would work for a nurse bottle when the main one is out
being refilled.

Sid