Old 25-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Boris

Default Carbo Plus Co2 System

I've seen these at Big Al's Aquarium Services. Has anyone ever used one.
Here's a link:

http://www.belowwater.com/products/carbo-plus/

While the start-up cost is low, it seems that replacing the carbon block
every 6 to 8 weeks is expensive.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.
cheers,
Boris

Old 25-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Dave Engle

"Boris" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
I've seen these at Big Al's Aquarium Services. Has anyone ever used

one.

Yes, there have been lots of very good reviews (good, in that it was
fair and in depth) on this product. I thought that one of them was
on http://www.thekrib.com , but I'm sure that if you search Google
Groups, you'll find quite a bit of info posted here in the past...

I think the general opinion was that it's a decent product for very
small aquariums, but not cost effective at all when dealing with
large aquariums where there's room for a pressurized system.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dave Engle

DFW, TX USA
Independent Associate
Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
http://www.prepaidlegal.com/go/dengle

Old 26-10-2003, 02:02 AM
gauloiseguy

I never used one, but read up a lot because I was tempted to buy one and
decided not to do so because the device reduces KH to produce CO2 (oposed to
the manufacturers (sp?) claims it does so buy electrolising waterand let the
O2 react with the C in the block...).
This means fluctuating KH levels if replenished with waterchange, or no CO2
when your KH gets too low (ie, a variable where you have no control over).
It *does* work however, people have used it with good succes, although the
gallon rating for a max. of 500 liter tanks is reported to be somewhat
optimistic.
Of course all this is "hear say"knowledge, so please investigate
yourself....
Maybe you might be better of with presurised CO2, I just bought me a
complete set (used) for EU 80,-

Old 27-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Dave Millman

Boris wrote:

I've seen these at Big Al's Aquarium Services. Has anyone ever used one.
Here's a link:

http://www.belowwater.com/products/carbo-plus/

While the start-up cost is low, it seems that replacing the carbon block
every 6 to 8 weeks is expensive.

The start-up cost is not that low, and with a new block every 6-8 weeks, you
pass the cost of pressurized CO2 within 3-4 months. Seems like a waste to
me.

Old 29-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Greg and Lisa

Speaking of CO2 how long is anyone getting out of there yeast type CO2
injection.

Curious as i got about a week out of mine!