Old 27-10-2003, 04:02 AM
Djay

Default Killifish experience?

Do any of you know a good Killifish site?

My LFS traded me 6 Killies (2 male and 4 female) for a 13" long Anubius
plant and they were doing fine. I put them in my 70 gal community tank and
observed mating rituals - diving into java moss etc. Well 4 months later I
only have one male left. I found a male and a female outside the tank so I
guess they jumped out. However the other 3 females just disappeared. From
what I have read they may only live for a year, but that seems to depend on
what species they are. They were not very colorful, only bland grey blue -
males slightly more colorful than the females and 1 3/4 inches long. They
had black upper lips and the males had some orange in them. From that
horrible description can anyone tell me what species they were? Are they
annual fishes? I've read that some can live longer than one season, but
admittedly I don't know which ones, and the LFS owner didn't either.
So two committed suicide - jumped out - and 3 just died. One is still
hanging in there, but I feel that he may be done for soon. Can any of you
point me to an active NG or board that deals with killies?

All is not lost though... To my delight, there are at least two young
killies in my aquarium! Hopefully there will be more, as I've read that the
egg "incubation" period can vary widely between species and they seemed to
forever be diving into the java moss. So maybe there are a few more in
there.

Thanks, DJay

mind the nospam in my email address.

Old 27-10-2003, 04:32 AM