Old 01-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Keng

Default My new plant set up

So I think I am almost done with my set up. Thanks to the feedback you
guys gave, a little research and a couple of books, I ended up with
the following...all I have to do now is to wait till the plants fill
in.

Here is what I ended up with.

- 72 Gallon All-Glass Bow Front (black)
- Oak Stand sanded and stained mahogany
- Aqualite 4X65watt
- Bulbs 2 X 6700K full spectrum + 2 X 10000K daylight lamp (did I get
the right ones? If not the store said I could bring them back in the
next couple of days to swap)
- 80lbs of Flourite
- 75lbs of gravel
- Fluval 404 filter
- 2 X 250watt Ebo yager heater
- CO2 aluminium tank (5lbs) - on the way + regulator (may need help
setting it up)

I filled the tank with a bunch of plants. I also added some
'fertilizer' from tetrafish for the plants which will hopefully help
the plants settle in quickly.

My plan is to have around 50 neons/cardinals in there and maybe a
couple of corys and algae eating shrimps. Did I forget anything? Any
comments greatly appreciated. Tank, gravel and plants are going to
stay though. I have no way of bringing it back other than renting a
truck.

***big grin***
Old 02-11-2003, 01:33 AM
Dinky

"Keng" wrote in message
om...
So I think I am almost done with my set up. Thanks to the feedback you
guys gave, a little research and a couple of books, I ended up with
the following...all I have to do now is to wait till the plants fill
in.

Why did you choose gravel? I've always had better luck with finer
substrates.

Old 02-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Keng

"Dinky" wrote in message news:AEXob.79782$HS4.668872@attbi_s01...
"Keng" wrote in message
om...
So I think I am almost done with my set up. Thanks to the feedback you
guys gave, a little research and a couple of books, I ended up with
the following...all I have to do now is to wait till the plants fill
in.

Why did you choose gravel? I've always had better luck with finer
substrates.

Actually the store told me it was cheaper and looked better. I must
admit the color of the gravel looks good too. The size of the gravel
is only slightly larger than the flourite.

I just swapped the 10000K bulb with another 6700K bulb. they didnt
have a lower K bulb.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Dinky

"Keng" wrote in message
om...

Actually the store told me it was cheaper and looked better. I must
admit the color of the gravel looks good too. The size of the gravel
is only slightly larger than the flourite.

This is why I don't take advice from people who are trying to get me to
leave my money with them. For 12 bucks, you could have gone to Lowe's (or
Fred Meyer, or Home Depot etc) and bought a couple bags of playsand. Better
for plants, easier care, much cheaper, and IMO, better looking.

Old 08-11-2003, 10:12 PM
NetMax

"Keng" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Sounds great. I'd go with more of a mix of bulbs and into the lower
frequencies (for a spread spectrum). There is a spray bar option I like
to use for the Fluvals when I'm using CO2 (I angle the spray bar
downwards). You might find 50 Neons don't really fill the tank much, but
it will depend on the types of plants and how wild you let things grow.
With a dark substrate, look into 12 to 18 pygmy corys, and Rummy-nose
tetras are sweet schoolers too IMHO. Harlequins rasboras and Cardinals
look nice together if you're not too sensitive about biotope accuracy
;~). Don't forget your Otos (the algae eating shrimp are not your algae
work-horses IMHO).
cheers
NetMax