Old 04-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Ian

Default Fake Christmas Snow = Filter Floss?

My local retail store is selling bags of this 100% polyester filling used to
simulate Christmas snow for like $3.00 for a large bag. Is this filling the
same kind of filter floss I see at my LFS for 4 times the price? If so, I'm
going to stock up on the stuff post Holiday when they'll sell them for even
less.

Old 04-12-2003, 01:02 AM
Dinky

"Ian" wrote in message
.com...
My local retail store is selling bags of this 100% polyester filling used

simulate Christmas snow for like $3.00 for a large bag. Is this filling

the
same kind of filter floss I see at my LFS for 4 times the price? If so,

I'm
going to stock up on the stuff post Holiday when they'll sell them for

even
less.

I've used the polyester fiber from the local fabric store on occasion, as
long as you can be sure there isn't anything added to it, I'd recommend it.

Old 04-12-2003, 03:03 AM
Ian

Dinky,
You're right about making sure nothing is added. I noticed there were 2
kinds of 'snow.' One type has glitter and the other is simply pure fiber.
Obvious glitter in the fish tank isn't the wisest material. Amazing how
retailers can mark up the very same product but call it 'filter floss' and
charge you ten fold. I'll definitely buy some after the holidays.

"Dinky" wrote in message

.com...

Old 04-12-2003, 03:32 AM
E.Otter

I tried this using polyester filling as filter floss for one month. It was
a disaster. I would probably have had better results not using anything.
Although ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, gH, and kH levels didn't change the
water quality definitely changed for the worst. Some sort of very fine
particles were suspended in the water and I had algae problems on a scale
I've never had before. The "fine particles" disappeared after I switched
back to the manufacturer's filter cartridges and after scraping the algae
off everything, that hasn't returned either.

That said, lots of people have had success with this stuff. Try it. Its
cheap. You probably won't hurt your fish. But switch back to real filter
floss if things start going downhill.
E.Otter

Old 05-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Brian

In article ,
"Ian" wrote:

My local retail store is selling bags of this 100% polyester filling used to
simulate Christmas snow for like $3.00 for a large bag. Is this filling the
same kind of filter floss I see at my LFS for 4 times the price? If so, I'm
going to stock up on the stuff post Holiday when they'll sell them for even
less.

Do some comparison shopping. "Snow" may be marked up just like "filter
floss is" in comparison to plain polyester fiber fill or quilt batting
from the fabric store. Ask them for "quilt batting" instead filter
floss, so they don't look at you funny.

Brian Heller

It is easier to tame wild beasts
than to conquer the human mind.

snow snow snow! Janet Tweedy[_2_] United Kingdom 11 18-01-2013 09:37 PM
Fake snow on our azaleas Derek Mark Edding North Carolina 1 24-06-2009 08:50 PM
Chorisia speciosa (Floss Silk Tree) in Sydney? Richard Wright Australia 0 28-04-2003 07:20 AM
Fake rocks Randy Ponds 2 24-04-2003 07:56 PM
[IBC] fake rock Craig Cowing Bonsai 10 23-03-2003 01:56 AM