#1   Report Post  
Old 18-01-2013, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2011
Posts: 815
Default snow snow snow!

Well we (Amersham, Bucks.) have started getting the snow that was
promised, been blowing and falling since about 9am and hasn't let up yet
so roads now covered and about an inch or so deep. Gym classes stopped
early because all the mobile phones were going off to tell parents to
come and get their children from school by 11.30am!!
Recent weather forecast was that it wouldn't let up till Monday!
Have to go and knock snow off some plants soon! Birds all disappeared.


--
Janet T.
Amersham

  #2   Report Post  
Old 18-01-2013, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2011
Posts: 164
Default snow snow snow!

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 Janet Tweedy wrote:

Well we (Amersham, Bucks.) have started getting the snow that was
promised, been blowing and falling since about 9am and hasn't let up
yet so roads now covered and about an inch or so deep.


Yes, it started here in Reading at about 8.15 this morning. Very light
at first but now it's falling with bigger flakes. I guess we've got
about two inches at the moment.

David

--
David Rance writing from Caversham, Reading, UK
http://rance.org.uk

  #3   Report Post  
Old 18-01-2013, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2011
Posts: 167
Default snow snow snow!

"David Rance" wrote in message
...
On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 Janet Tweedy wrote:

Well we (Amersham, Bucks.) have started getting the snow that was
promised, been blowing and falling since about 9am and hasn't let up yet
so roads now covered and about an inch or so deep.


Yes, it started here in Reading at about 8.15 this morning. Very light at
first but now it's falling with bigger flakes. I guess we've got about two
inches at the moment.

Here on the east coast we had about an inch over night, but have been
"promised" a blizzard this afternoon :-{

--
Kathy

  #4   Report Post  
Old 18-01-2013, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,129
Default snow snow snow!


"Martin" wrote in message
...
On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 11:45:05 -0000, "Kathy" wrote:

"David Rance" wrote in message
...
On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 Janet Tweedy wrote:

Well we (Amersham, Bucks.) have started getting the snow that was
promised, been blowing and falling since about 9am and hasn't let up yet
so roads now covered and about an inch or so deep.

Yes, it started here in Reading at about 8.15 this morning. Very light
at
first but now it's falling with bigger flakes. I guess we've got about
two
inches at the moment.

Here on the east coast we had about an inch over night, but have been
"promised" a blizzard this afternoon :-{


A blizzard is a snow shower with wind. :-)
--

Martin


What will Britain do when it /really/snows?

I take it all the hills are snow-capped where you are :-)

Bill


  #5   Report Post  
Old 18-01-2013, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2011
Posts: 815
Default snow snow snow!

On 18/01/2013 13:25, Bill Grey wrote:
I take it all the hills are snow-capped where you a-)

Bill



well it's forecast not to stop snowing until Monday and it's been
snowing steadily since about 9am.
Main roads okay but side roads lethal.

--
Janet T.
Amersham


  #6   Report Post  
Old 18-01-2013, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2008
Posts: 758
Default snow snow snow!

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 14:05:34 +0100, Martin wrote:

Here on the east coast we had about an inch over night, but have been
"promised" a blizzard this afternoon :-{


A blizzard is a snow shower with wind. :-)


To the media it is technically it's somewhat more that. Moderate snow
with wind in excess of F7 (Near Gale) and visibility reduced to less than
200m. "Moderate snow" is up to 4cm/hr. Note that wind speed, F7 is over
32 mph, that is pretty windy for many places. You really don't want to be
out in a true blizzard.

As for snow, what snow? Nothing fresh here. In fact we have less this
morning than we did last night as the overnight dry F4 (Moderate Breeze)
has been making the smattering we had sublime.

Currently fairly bright after dull start. Lazy(*) F4 SSE'ly -4.1C chill
around -15C.

(*)Lazy in that the wind doesn't go around you but straight through. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.



  #7   Report Post  
Old 18-01-2013, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2011
Posts: 164
Default snow snow snow!

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 Janet Tweedy wrote:

well it's forecast not to stop snowing until Monday and it's been
snowing steadily since about 9am.
Main roads okay but side roads lethal.


It's almost stopped snowing here but about four inches have fallen.

David

--
David Rance writing from Caversham, Reading, UK
http://rance.org.uk

  #8   Report Post  
Old 18-01-2013, 09:37 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rance[_6_] View Post

It's almost stopped snowing here but about four inches have fallen.
We had about 2inches last sunday night, and it's been here ever since, thanks to temperatures not having risen above around -3deg C. Enough to look pretty but not enough to sledge.
Just a slight dusting from the latest lot - I feel really jealous.

Interesting footprints on the pond, though. Various cat tracks, and also a bounding squirrel. But hard to see where one of the cats left the pond. Visions of super-squirrel carrying off a cat.
__________________
getstats - A society in which our lives and choices are enriched by an understanding of statistics. Go to www.getstats.org.uk for more information


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
should I bring in the sweet peas before the snow? NAearthMOM Gardening 1 30-03-2003 04:08 PM
Snow and Grass Seed BenignVanilla Gardening 13 08-02-2003 05:43 PM
5 inches of snow! loonyhiker Gardening 34 31-01-2003 03:40 AM
5 inches of snow! PS Iris Cohen Gardening 1 24-01-2003 05:18 PM
Snow rose bonsai Venu Shelat Gardening 4 23-01-2003 09:03 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017