Old 29-12-2003, 12:35 AM
Harry Muscle

Default Feedback about my planted tank setup

I was wondering if I could get some feedback about the planted tank that I'm
hoping to setup in the next few weeks.

55G Tank
80W light (1.5 wpg)
50/50 mix of fluorite and ??? (what's good to mix it with)
DIY heating cables
Use Flourish Excel (instead of CO2)
Use Flourish

I'm hoping to setup a nice planted tank. I'm not looking for something that
grows like wild, I just want my plants to grow a bit (and especially not
die). Would I have enough light for a decent low tech tank?

Fluorite is expensive, so I thought of mixing 2 bags of it with something
else, but I'm not sure what yet.

I don't think I have enough light to justify CO2 injection, but I thought I
would use Flourish Excel to provide extra carbon. Also use Flourish as a
regular fertilizer. I have some DIY heating cables already made, so I'm
gonna use those too.

I'm just wondering if what I'm thinking of doing sounds like it will work.
Any suggestions on what you would change?

Thanks,
Harry

Old 29-12-2003, 09:48 PM
Giancarlo Podio

Hi Harry,

I've had a similar tank in the past. If you are mixing 50/50 flourite
with something else for economic purposes then regular gravel will do
fine. I don't know that I'd use any heating cables, not worth the
extra power cord in the tank IMO, but seeing you already have them
they can't hurt. Everything else sounds good. With this much light you
won't need CO2 but you would still benefit from it a great deal. Excel
will also work nicely. If you are purchasing the light strip, see if
they have the 2x32W T8 model, they are slightly brighter.

Good luck
Giancarlo Podio