Old 30-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Joseph

Default Hobby Ethics

I live in a state where many fresh water plants are illegal, e.g.
Anacharis and milfoil. There are also several species of aquatic
animals that are illegal, e.g. ghost shrimp, fresh water snails, and
killifish (a HUGE fine if your caught with killies).

I've been wrestling with the ethics of buying an illegal animal on
line (ghost shrimp), and wonder what other people think about this in
regards to both plants and animals.

Any thoughts?
Old 30-12-2003, 04:36 PM
Victor Martinez

Joseph wrote:
Any thoughts?

There's usually a *very* good reason for certain plants and animals to
be illegal: if they escape into the environment, they reproduce
uncontrollably and cause the death of native species. This is not good.
Please don't take the risk.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 30-12-2003, 04:36 PM
Eric Schreiber

Joseph wrote:

I live in a state where many fresh water plants are illegal, e.g.
Anacharis and milfoil. There are also several species of aquatic
animals that are illegal, e.g. ghost shrimp, fresh water snails, and
killifish (a HUGE fine if your caught with killies).

What state, Maine? I wouldn't have thought they'd consider these
things to be a danger, since most aquarium species are warm water.

I've been wrestling with the ethics of buying an illegal animal on
line (ghost shrimp), and wonder what other people think about this in
regards to both plants and animals.

Do you have a link to the formal state rules about this? Sometimes
these laws only prohibit commercial sales or are oddly written to
allow exceptions.

As for ethics vs the law, well, the two rarely intercept

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 30-12-2003, 06:34 PM
NetMax

"Eric Schreiber" wrote in message
Joseph wrote:

I live in a state where many fresh water plants are illegal, e.g.
Anacharis and milfoil. There are also several species of aquatic
animals that are illegal, e.g. ghost shrimp, fresh water snails, and
killifish (a HUGE fine if your caught with killies).

What state, Maine? I wouldn't have thought they'd consider these
things to be a danger, since most aquarium species are warm water.

I've been wrestling with the ethics of buying an illegal animal on
line (ghost shrimp), and wonder what other people think about this in
regards to both plants and animals.

Do you have a link to the formal state rules about this? Sometimes
these laws only prohibit commercial sales or are oddly written to
allow exceptions.

As for ethics vs the law, well, the two rarely intercept

--
www.ericschreiber.com

This is a very sticky question. You could observe the legal requirements
by purchasing similar looking (but legal) plants, shrimp and snails, and
then address the ethical concerns by handling them responsibly, ensuring
they never get out into your environment (regardless if they would or
wouldn't survive). However, legislation on Killies might be too broad to
find a similar but legal substitute, so you might have to go to a
different (legal) fish. How about exploring the legality of keeping home
grown darters and minnows?

I'm curious as to how this will evolve in the future. If your
environment could be adversely affected by something like Killies, could
White Cloud minnows be potentially banned as well? Will Guppies be next?
Canada, Russia and northern Europe may become the last bastions of legal
hobbyists in the future ;~)

NetMax, living up in Canada eh? ;~)

Old 30-12-2003, 09:12 PM
LtWolfe

No state or government has the right to interfere in a person's private business, unless it DIRECTLY
harms another INDIVIDUAL. God, what is this country coming to? FIGHT THE OPRESSION!

Old 30-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Dunter Powries

Joseph wrote in message
I live in a state where many fresh water plants are illegal, e.g.
Anacharis and milfoil. There are also several species of aquatic
animals that are illegal, e.g. ghost shrimp, fresh water snails, and
killifish (a HUGE fine if your caught with killies).

I've been wrestling with the ethics of buying an illegal animal on
line (ghost shrimp), and wonder what other people think about this in
regards to both plants and animals.

Any thoughts?

Ghosties aren't worth it. They're one of the least interesting things you
could ever get fined for.

Old 30-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Toni

"LtWolfe" wrote in message
. ..
No state or government has the right to interfere in a person's private

business, unless it DIRECTLY
harms another INDIVIDUAL. God, what is this country coming to? FIGHT THE

OPRESSION!

I live in a land infested with Muscovy Ducks, toxic Bufo Toads, and
Melaleuca trees are soaking up my Everglades.... all non natives, all
introduced by folks who thought they knew better.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/discus.htm

Old 30-12-2003, 10:03 PM
LtWolfe

I am well aware of the exotic problems in my current state of residence. Why do you seem so quick to
take away MY right? Because of what someone ELSE did? Why should I be punished for the acts of
others? Does that seem right? Besides, there are very few exotics doing well, compared to the
number in the hobby, and natives in FL. A lot of exotics are from fish farm releases (I'm sure YOU
don't buy from fish farms, right?). Bottom line, I am responsible for MY actions. YOU are responsible
for YOUR actions. Let's keep it like that okay? (or rather, get it back like that).

LtWolfe

"Toni" wrote in
link.net:

. ..

Old 30-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Tedd Jacobs

and at this point i think this should be cross-posted to alt.politics and
eliminated from the rec.aquaria* groups.

"LtWolfe" wrote...

Old 31-12-2003, 01:02 AM
Eric Schreiber

"NetMax" wrote:

This is a very sticky question. You could observe the legal requirements
by purchasing similar looking (but legal) plants, shrimp and snails, and
then address the ethical concerns by handling them responsibly, ensuring
they never get out into your environment (regardless if they would or
wouldn't survive).

The ethics are fairly universal. Know the requirements of your fish
before you buy them, provide them with the best environment you can,
and never, ever release them into the wild.

The legal aspects are much trickier, and I suspect that even the
enforcing agencies don't really understand them. Sometimes it's
illegal to import or sell a species, but if you can find someone
locally who already has it you can get offspring (or cuttings) from
them.

NetMax, living up in Canada eh? ;~)

Apart from the weather, Canada has started to look more and more
attractive in recent years. And you guys know the proper way to treat
French Fries.

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Old 31-12-2003, 01:03 AM
Eric Schreiber

"Dunter Powries" wrote:

Ghosties aren't worth it. They're one of the least interesting things you
could ever get fined for.

Hey! I like my ghost shrimp! And they like me, I'm certain of it.

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 31-12-2003, 02:42 AM
nuchumYussel

Hey Joeseph, what state do you live in? I live in Virginia and have
not found ANY stores in my area, Virginia Beach, that carry Killifish.
And have found ghost shirmp ONCE.

Evan
Old 31-12-2003, 03:11 PM
Cannibul

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:48:18 GMT, LtWolfe wrote:

Right. And I should be allowed to own my very own thermonuclear bomb
because I will be responsible with it.

I am well aware of the exotic problems in my current state of residence. Why do you seem so quick to
take away MY right? Because of what someone ELSE did? Why should I be punished for the acts of
others? Does that seem right? Besides, there are very few exotics doing well, compared to the
number in the hobby, and natives in FL. A lot of exotics are from fish farm releases (I'm sure YOU
don't buy from fish farms, right?). Bottom line, I am responsible for MY actions. YOU are responsible
for YOUR actions. Let's keep it like that okay? (or rather, get it back like that).

LtWolfe

"Toni" wrote in
hlink.net:

. ..