Old 20-04-2004, 06:08 PM
Cereus-validus

Default Ebay ethics question (plant related)

eBay ethics: Caveat Emptor! Gotcha Sucker!

You would have gotten a better deal at your local Home Depot. (and a lot
cheaper too!)

"Darren Garrison" wrote in message
Wanting a few opinions on this.

I order some Lilly of the Valley pips (one order of 5 white, one order of

3 pink) from a high-volume
Ebay seller using buy-it-now and immedately paying via Paypal. Soon

afterwards, I get a boilerplate
e-mail with the subject that the item "has been shipped", but in the body

of the message it points
out that the seller ships on only Mondays and Tuesdays. So that would

have allowed for a few more
days before shipping. But 14 days after the "item has shipped" notice it

still hadn't arrived, so I
e-mailed the seller and asked if he could double-check on if the order had

actually shipped yet (and
yes, I was polite and non-confrontational about it). He told me that he

would ship it again.

Then, the very next day (15 days after the "item has shipped" notice) the

order finally arrives--
and is postmarked 12 days after the "item has shipped" e-mail. As quickly

as possible, I e-mail the
seller to say that the item has arrived, and to not ship the replacement

order if possible, and
asked how I should handle the second package if it has already been sent.

I get no reply from the
seller.

Now, yesterday, I get a package from the seller in the mail. Postmarked 6

days AFTER I told him to
not re-send the order. AND, it turns out, it contained only the pink

pips, so if the first order
really had been missing, I still would have been missing half of the

order.

Now, if the first order really had been lost in the mail, it would have

been a great gesture from
the seller to re-send the order at his own expense. But it hadn't been

lost-- it just hadn't been
sent, despite his e-mail saying otherwise. And not only was he not able

to track that, he didn't
bother to NOT resend (half of) the order even though he had multiple days

notice that I had finally
received the first order.

So (and here's where the question comes in) I've decided that I'm just

going to keep the damned pips
from the re-sent order and not offer to ship them back to him or pay him

($10.00 plus $3.99 shipping
for 3 pips, even though it cost only $1.29 to send them) for the extras,

as in my opinion almost all
of the problem has been caused on his end.

Any opinions of wherether I do that with clean hands?