Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2004, 02:05 PM
Kudzu

Default Standpipe or something else?

Building a new home and I will have a 6 foot long tank in it. Probably a
125G but possibly a 150G. The tank will sit with one short end on
the wall leaving both long sides and one short side open. I have imagined
this for a long time but it's time to stop daydreaming and start doing some
serious planning.

Due to the fact that three sides are exposed I am trying to decide on how to
plumb the tank. Oceanic offers a ready made solution in it's Reef Ready
line. They have a single overflow box installed in one corner. While the
overflow box would be exposed it wouldn't be that noticeable because of
where it is is. Problem is that the Oceanic tank is a roughly a grand!
($1000). While one from All Glass is roughly $500. Problem is All Glass has
no overflow but All Glass will drill it for me. They have a tank with 2
overflow boxes but they are in both corners and that is just not an option.

So I was thinking of ordering a drilled All Glass and installing a standpipe
for the overflow. I can disguise it with plants and/or cover it with
rocks.My concern is noise. From what I read they standpipes can be very
noisy.

Option two is overflow box(es). Problem is is has to fit on one narrow end
(24"). I am building my hood and stand, so I was thinking I could make the
stand 6" longer than the tank and just build something that would butt
against the wall and hide the overflows in there. But I really don't like
the way it would look.

I am looking for other options. I have considered having the tank drilled
and building my own corner overflow out of glass and siliconeing them in
place. I am concerned about cutting notches in glass and I don't know if I
could silicone acrylic to glass? Maybe there is way to silence standpipes?
Or another option that I have not thought of? Would love to hear some ideas.

--
Kudzu *\\
The man that always tells the truth never has to remember what he said