Old 07-01-2004, 08:43 AM
Jason Allen Finnigan

Default driftwood

hi me and a friend took a trip to a nearby beach today and picked up a
couple of pieces of driftwood and we are not sure how to prep them to go in
our tanks any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks finni

Old 07-01-2004, 11:42 AM
C&P Devlin

I have done that very thing...I have always boiled the pieces in a large
pot of water to kill anything that might be living in the wood or to
help leach out any contaminants that might have crept into the log. I
have had good success for the most part...aside from a chunk that wont sink!
Take care and I hope this helps!
Craig
Ontario, Canada

Old 07-01-2004, 02:45 PM
Harry Muscle

"C&P Devlin" wrote in message
. ..
I have done that very thing...I have always boiled the pieces in a large
pot of water to kill anything that might be living in the wood or to
help leach out any contaminants that might have crept into the log. I
have had good success for the most part...aside from a chunk that wont

sink!
Take care and I hope this helps!
Craig
Ontario, Canada

Hey, I noticed you're from Ontario, would you mind sharing where you
collected your wood? I'm close to Lake Ontario, but I'm not too sure if I
wanna get wood from there since it's not always the cleanest lake.

Thanks,
Harry

Old 07-01-2004, 05:41 PM
Popeye

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:20:27 -0500, "Harry Muscle"
wrote:

Hey, I noticed you're from Ontario, would you mind sharing where you
collected your wood? I'm close to Lake Ontario, but I'm not too sure if I
wanna get wood from there since it's not always the cleanest lake.

Thanks,
Harry

Harry, mine came from Lake Erie, also on the Canadian side. I haven't
had any problems with them. I didn't boil them, but I did soak them in
a very heavy salt bath. To aid in them staying on the bottom, I
siliconed a pice of slate to the bottom of it.

Brian

Old 08-01-2004, 05:32 AM
dickydoo

If its driftwood from the sea it will contain salt.Boil it for a couple of
hours with a couple of water changes.

Old 08-01-2004, 12:33 PM
C&P Devlin

Im about an hour and a half south of Ottawa outside Brockville, but I
found my driftwood at the edge of an inland lake.
I don't suppose this helps ya much but I also sometimes snorkel for
interesting rock or stumps when the ice isn't so thick....ya know...in
June just after we all put away our dogsleds!
Take Care!
Craig

Harry Muscle wrote:
. ..