Old 21-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Nemo

Default Basic chemistry question

Thanks for all the info RedForeman
Thanks to all who replied.

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message
baking soda is/can be added as a buffer, it raises your kH and buffers

your
pH enough to keep a stable pH for quite a while... I add 1 tbsp to every
10g, do your own math, and it gives a bump on pH and the buffer capacity

is
in the volume you add... the more you add, the more your kH raises, but

not
pH

for a planted tank, well, that varies IMHO.... I shoot for a pH of 6.6-7.6
on 3 different tanks the lower one has CO2, others don't

pH 6.6 and kH of 2-4 give you a range of 15-30ppm of CO2
pH 7.6 and kH of 2-4 give you a range of 1-3ppm CO2

Use this to find your CO2 levels and what is optimal for your tank and
water...
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

unless my 3 years of learning have lead me down the demented path, which
could happen...

--
RedForeman ©®

"Nemo" wrote in message
What water chemistry parameters would you ideally want in a planted

tank?
pH, kH and gH?

My kH is very low, about 3 dKh causing pH swings. I want to minimise

raising
the pH. What is the minimum kH needed to maintain a reasonably stable

pH?

Thanks

Old 21-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Chuck Gadd

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:24:12 -0500, "Nemo" wrote:

My kH is very low, about 3 dKh causing pH swings. I want to minimise raising
the pH. What is the minimum kH needed to maintain a reasonably stable pH?

A KH of 3 will not cause pH swings.

As long as there is SOME buffering (KH of 1 or more), then the KH is
NOT the cause of any pH swing. A low KH will result in a lower
overall pH value, but it won't change the pH swing.

If you are getting a pH swing, then some change in the acid level in
the tank is occuring.

In a non-CO2 injected planted tank, you will often see the pH rise
during the day, as plants strip out all CO2 from the water, making the
water less acidic. Then at night, CO2 levels return to the ambient
3-4ppm.

Since the KH isn't the cause of your pH swing, give more details about
your tank setup, and exactly what you are seeing with your pH
readings.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 21-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Nemo

Hi Chuck,
Thanks for your input.
My setup is fairly simple. I don't currently have a planted tank per se - it
is WIP.
Current setup:
- 25 gallons
- 5 plants
- 18 watts light (don't laugh please)
- no CO2
- 1 adult , 2 juvenile platies
- 5 neon tetras
- 2 pieces of mopani wood
- 300gph rated power filter
- 100W heater

gH = 3
kH = 3
Temp = 79-80 oF
pH = 7.8 - 7.2 (over a week say)

1-2 x 25% Water changes weekly
Tap water
gH = 3
kH = 2-4
pH = 8.0-8.2

Symptoms - dead neon tetras

Old 21-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Michi Henning

"Nemo" wrote in message

gH = 3
kH = 3
Temp = 79-80 oF
pH = 7.8 - 7.2 (over a week say)

1-2 x 25% Water changes weekly
Tap water
gH = 3
kH = 2-4
pH = 8.0-8.2

Symptoms - dead neon tetras

First thing to check would be ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
Especially with your high pH, any ammonia will be present
in (highly toxic) molecular form, which could be the cause
of the deaths.

Cheers,

Michi.

--
Michi Henning Ph: +61 4 1118-2700
ZeroC, Inc. http://www.zeroc.com

Old 23-01-2004, 02:12 AM
Dan Drake

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:52:22 UTC, "RedForeman ©®"
wrote:

baking soda is/can be added as a buffer, it raises your kH and buffers your
pH enough to keep a stable pH for quite a while... I add 1 tbsp to every
10g, do your own math, and it gives a bump on pH and the buffer capacity is
in the volume you add... the more you add, the more your kH raises, but not
pH

If you don't have CO2 injection, raising the KH must always raise the pH.
(Well, there are a couple of exceptions, but they're not of any use in
keeping your neons alive.) This is because there is a fixed amount of
carbonic acid in your water, determined by the amount of CO2 in the air.
The pH depends on the ratio of bicarbonate to carbonic acid; so increasing
the bicarbonate with the same amount of carbonic acid gives you higher pH.

Your fish and plants complicate this by moving CO2 in and out of the
water. But the atmosphere is always pulling the CO2 level back toward the
3-4 parts per million that's in equilibrium.

for a planted tank, well, that varies IMHO.... I shoot for a pH of 6.6-7.6
on 3 different tanks the lower one has CO2, others don't

pH 6.6 and kH of 2-4 give you a range of 15-30ppm of CO2
pH 7.6 and kH of 2-4 give you a range of 1-3ppm CO2

One thing is left out of this: if you don't have CO2 injection, your CO2
level *will* be set by the amount of CO2 in the air; 15-30 ppm is not
going to happen, because it's out of balance with the atmosphere. You can
mess with it, for instance by adding acid to the tank to bring down the pH
and increase the CO2; then some CO2 will escape from the tank into the
air, and the pH will go back up to nearly what it was before. "Nearly",
because the KH went down a little when that CO2 escaped into the air.

Use this to find your CO2 levels and what is optimal for your tank and
water...
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

But remember -- not to belabor the point or anything -- that if you don't
add CO2 to the tank, your CO2 level will be 3-4 ppm. This means KH of 1 -
1.3 at pH of 7.0. A pity, because neons are happier at 7.0 than at 7.8.
There are buffering chemicals that will supposedly keep the pH reasonably
steady at 7.0 or so; if you use these buffers, just forget about KH and
CO2, because you're overriding them.

--
Dan Drake

http://www.dandrake.com

Basic question....[blush] kafifa United Kingdom 25 24-02-2004 04:19 AM
Herb hardiness -- was: basic question: herbs, winter Frogleg Edible Gardening 2 25-10-2003 04:02 PM
basic question: herbs, winter R Braun Edible Gardening 3 25-10-2003 07:42 AM
Basic Lily question Carl Beyer Ponds 7 05-06-2003 10:44 AM
basic botony question: What triggers perrenials to begin regrowing? Adam Schwartz Gardening 9 26-04-2003 12:44 PM