Old 27-01-2004, 01:08 AM
Victor Martinez

Default Loach recommendation for small planted tank

Home wrote:
Try http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...21&pCatId=1590
They have some beautiiful loaches
I have this one and he doesn't bother anything
he is pricey but wonderful

I have two of those in my 110g tank, both are over 4" long. Too big for
the small tank. I might settle on B. sidthimunki (sp?)

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 27-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Veronique

I thought Khuli loaches were in a totally different family altogether. They
aren't Botias. Are you guys sure that khuli loaches eat snails?

I've had several botias over the years.. from yoyo to tiger to clown to
dwarf. I've had bad experiences with dwarf loaches. They can get very mean..
I've found my guppies missing all their fins one night because of a dominant
dwarf loach. None of the other loaches have ever done that (Tiger, clown,
and yoyo) although they sometimes chase my guramis away ..

Veronique

" wrote in message
om...
Victor Martinez wrote in message

Hi. I used to have B. striata in my 20g long planted tank (fluorite
substrate), but I moved them to the big tank. Now I have too many snails
in the little tank, so I'm thinking of adding 1-3 small loaches to be
permanent residents. Which species would you recommend? The tank has 4
species of shrimp in it, some ottos and 3 pigmy cories. And thousands of
snails, 3 different species.
Any help would be most appreciated.

Normally these are the best, B. striata. Nice, peaceful, schooling,
not too mean to eachother, available and don't cost too much.
Dwarf loaches are great(cost alot though).
Dojo's, golden's are very very nice fish as are the others in that
family.
Kuli's are nice also. There a number of Noemachilius sp and similar
families that are now common in the trade.

I had horseface loaches in the past with large sword plants etc, they
acted as worms like in a marine DBS substrate keeping it from
compacting etc.Smaller plants will be uprooted by these though.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 28-01-2004, 05:02 AM
Victor Martinez

Veronique wrote:
I thought Khuli loaches were in a totally different family altogether. They
aren't Botias. Are you guys sure that khuli loaches eat snails?

They are indeed not Botias. However, it seems the genus has been
rearranged and clown loaches are no longer Botia macracanthus, but
Chromobotia macracanthus. Kuhli loaches can be of two genus (geni?)
Acanthophthalmus and Pangio, IIRC. I've never seen one eat a snail.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he