Old 02-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Giancarlo Podio

Default Need Help!! Phosphate readings off the chart!

If it's not in the tap water then your plant spikes are leaking
phosphates. How thick is the substrate and what kind of plant sticks
are you using? Also what kind of gravel do you have? (the larger the
grain the easier it is for elements to come out of the substrates).
Everything else sounds good to me.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

(Nick D) wrote in message . com...
Hi...
I just picked up a new Hagen Nitrate and Phosphate test kit for my
29gal. I just re-started my tank with fresh gravel and new plants and
lights. I have 95watts, and DIY C02. I also completed a 50% water
change yesterday, and another 25% waterchange today, because of a
small thread/ hair algae outbreak. So I wanted to make sure my water
was clean before testing. The tank has been running for 6 weeks,
cycled and has a good bacteria load going for sure. Maintenance is
kept up religiously. Plants were growing for a couple of weeks, but
are showing signs of slowing down, and yellowing.

Readings are as follows: (after water change)
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0-5ppm
Phosphate: 5ppm+
K:??
Nitrite: 0ppm
PH: 7.0
GH: 8deg
Kh: 9deg
c02: ~20ppm
temp:78
Fish load minimal: (4 Cardinals, Pleco, and a Cory)

Problem here is obviously the Phosphate!! I tested my tap water and it
came back zero. Then I did a test in the tank (after the water
change), and it was off the scale?!! I dont get it! Something is
really leaking Phosphate into my tank...and I dont know what? I have
fertilizer spikes under the plants which have Phosphate in them, but
they are way under the gravel and are never disturbed.

Someone told me that Activated Carbon in your filter releases
Phosphate, but I found that hard to believe as Activated Carbon is
supposed to suck up nutrients rather than release them right???

I'm really stuck on this one! Can anyone give a list of possible
sources of Phosphate, that I might not be considering. At present, I
am not dosing any ferts, and havent since start up. The phosphate just
magically appears for no reason!

Thx in advance,
Nick.

Old 03-03-2004, 07:04 AM
Happy'Cam'per

No worries Red, it all comes from this group anyway, I've been here for a
year and I'm just beginning to understand the reasoning behind all the
methods!
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message

Cam, I had to thank you for that explanation... I've saved it because I

want
to use it later, it will add to my pile of useful info I've collected over
the years...

and Nemo, you're post has also been saved....Thanks.

Old 03-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Nick D

(Giancarlo Podio) wrote in message om...
If it's not in the tap water then your plant spikes are leaking
phosphates. How thick is the substrate and what kind of plant sticks
are you using? Also what kind of gravel do you have? (the larger the
grain the easier it is for elements to come out of the substrates).
Everything else sounds good to me.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

Hey...
So last night, I did a another 50% water change. Filled the tank
again, and did another 50% to dilute the phosphate again. It kinda
half worked. The readings came down to around 2.5ppm from over 5ppm. I
also took all the carbon out of my Penguin filter insert, and took all
those damn Nutrafin spikes out. I looked at the box again and the
reading were 16-9-12 (NPK). That doesnt seem like a 10:1 ratio to me!
And on the back there was two different sources of phosphate.

I also cut the lights back by 60% (turned off the power compact),
until I can get my ratios right. I hope that doesnt kill my plants. I
added some N as the readings were zero after those huge water changes.
Readings were at 5ppm this morning, added a bit more before leaving
for work. When I can get them up to 10 or more I'll turn the light
back on.

I think I need more fish too. My plants are eating my Nitrates faster
than my fish can produce them. With 95watts over 29gallons, I will
need some heavy fert dosing. I rather just have more fish to help out!

Keep you posted on the progress
Nick D

Old 04-03-2004, 01:39 AM
Bill Kirkpatrick

Many Carbons are indeed loaded with Phosphate and they will
leach it into your tank.

All too few repackagers label this fact, even though the
bulk carbon will usually come with the information. Many
change suppliers and they aren't always willing to pay the
premium for using a specified carbon.

To test yours you need to put some in a jar with distilled,
or R/O, water, about 50/50 by volume, let sit overnight, and
test the water.

If the carbon water tests positive, you have three choices.

One, live with it, just limit your use.

Two, soak the carbon in a bucket of water (1g carbon in a 5g
bucket of clean water). Soak 24 hours, stir occasionally,
rinse well, than to be sure, soak again. Test the water
from the second soaking. Some are very bad and may need
multiple soakings.

Three, ditch the carbon you have and find a more suitable brand.

Then think about whomever sold you this non-aquarium grade
garbage to you, and wonder if they still deserve your business.

*********************************
. com...

Old 04-03-2004, 02:45 AM
Nemo

http://www.geocities.com/campaign002/index1.html
"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message
and Nemo, you're post has also been saved....Thanks.

No sweat mate!

Old 05-03-2004, 04:31 AM
RedForeman ©®

Many Carbons are indeed loaded with Phosphate and they will
leach it into your tank.

Bill, you said this, and it was like a light went off....

What about Flourish Excel, does it have any phosphates in it?
--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike
streetfighter!!!

==========================
2003 TRX450ES
1992 TRX-350 XX (For Sale)
1987 TRX250R (sold)
1987 CBR600 Hurricane (sold)
1987 VFR700 Interceptor (sold)
1995 TRX300ex (sold)
2000 CBR600F4 silver/red (sold) *sniff*sniff*
'98 Tacoma Ext Cab 4X4 Lifted....
"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C),
it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment.
By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
whichever is greater, for each violation."

If you do send me unsolicited e-mail I will proof-read it at a rate
of $100 per hour (4 hour minimum).