Old 22-08-2004, 02:00 PM
SJS0678

Default fish tank not level

i just moved my 125 gallon fish tank (not fun) into my sunroom. after the
water was in, i noticed the water is about a half inch higher on one side than
the other, and i took a level and found out the sunroom is not quite level. my
first question is will this imperfection jeopardize the structure of the
tank/stand? i dont want 125 gallons of water in the sunroom! i can live with
the imperfection if it doesnt mess anything up

also, short of draining the tank and puting something down to prop up one end,
is there any other way to make the tank level? thanks
Old 22-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Bill Stock

"SJS0678" wrote in message
i just moved my 125 gallon fish tank (not fun) into my sunroom. after the
water was in, i noticed the water is about a half inch higher on one side

than
the other, and i took a level and found out the sunroom is not quite

level. my
first question is will this imperfection jeopardize the structure of the
tank/stand? i dont want 125 gallons of water in the sunroom! i can live

with
the imperfection if it doesnt mess anything up

also, short of draining the tank and puting something down to prop up one

end,
is there any other way to make the tank level? thanks

You should post this over in rec.aquarium.tech, NetMax will likely help you
out.

But as I understand it, most US tanks support the weight of the tank along
the edge of the glass (frame). So you don't want to stress any one point
along the edge. e.g.. No bumps in your stand top or edging if you have an
open stand. Level is less important than flat up to a point, as you then
need to start worrying about the silicon springing a leak.

You mentioned that one side is lower than the other, which is probably
better than the front being different than the back. But I'd be concerned
about 1/2" in a tank that big. One thing people do is put a sheet of
Styrofoam (white stuff) under the tank to smooth out any bumps. Probably
3/4" thickness in your case. This may help, but won't cure half an inch. If
you decide to level your stand (likely your only choice), don't put your
shims all in one spot as you might stress the glass. This is really
dependant on the strength of your stand, this is probably less critical with
a metal stand. The idea is to ensure that your stand is evenly supported
across the entire floor.

DON'T try to level your tank when it's full of water. You'll either get a
bath or a hernia.

Old 23-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Racf

"SJS0678" wrote in message
i just moved my 125 gallon fish tank (not fun) into my sunroom. after

the
water was in, i noticed the water is about a half inch higher on one

side than
the other, and i took a level and found out the sunroom is not quite

level. my
first question is will this imperfection jeopardize the structure of

the
tank/stand? i dont want 125 gallons of water in the sunroom! i can

live with
the imperfection if it doesnt mess anything up

also, short of draining the tank and puting something down to prop up

one end,
is there any other way to make the tank level? thanks

It would be best to make sure its as level as possible.