Old 11-08-2004, 12:58 AM
John Vannoy

Default Backflow preventer dripping

My irrigation system was installed in spring of 2002, and included a
RPZ type backflow preventer (Watts 009). This summer, it has
gradually developed a slow leak. It is dripping from the water outlet
on the bottom. It has never been exposed to freezing conditions.

Since it is only 2 years old, I can't imagine that the rubber seals
have failed already. What could cause this thing to fail so quick?
And can they be repaired?

Thanks,
John
Old 11-08-2004, 03:00 AM
Donald Guzzetta

It is not unusual for these to develop leaks. Its in there nature the way
their designed. I have many checked at work annually and always have some
that need rebuilding. The state of Wisconsin requires a person to be a
certified technitian to rebuild backflow preventers. You need to check with
your State or local codes. They absolutely can be rebuilt.

om...

Old 11-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Chet Hayes

"Donald Guzzetta" wrote in message ...
[...]

I've had mine stick occasionally too. Sometimes banging it a few
times with a hammer is all it takes. Otherwise, the top of mine comes
off easily. Don't remember exactly what I did, but basicly just took
the top off, checked inside, made sure everything moved ok and put it
back together and it worked fine.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Chet Hayes

[...]

Dripping silver birch John United Kingdom 6 15-03-2005 07:55 PM
Dripping Dieffenbachia David D. Gardening 4 14-10-2004 12:41 PM
Preventing backflow in DIY CO2 Curtis Thetford Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 16-09-2004 02:18 PM
Irrigation Backflow Carol Gardening 1 29-04-2004 06:02 AM
seed in fall before spring crabgrass preventer? E Gardener Gardening 5 28-01-2003 12:14 AM