Old 02-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Desmond Wong

Default Good place to start...

Hi all.

I was recommended here from my LFS to start looking at plants for my tank.

Are there any good places on the web to see different "species" and work
from there? I have a 20g tank (2' tank) and although it is planted at the
moment, I have a problem as the plants I have are growing quite quickly. As
much as this is a good thing the downside is that they are ugly plants, got
them really cheap as a starting thing but now that I am quite happy with the
results, it is time to move to prettier ones.

I have around 15 or so neon tetras, 4 oto's in the tank. Hard to tell as I
have a mirror back on the tank, and now want it to look nicer and give the
fish some play area as well without overcrowding the tank.

I have *no idea* what plants I have now, or what I should get in the future.
I want some of the small grassy types for the front of the tank, but have
also been told it will seed itself and then grow underneath all the
substrate and eventually have no visable substrate. Don't know if it is true
or not, but here's the place to ask I suppose.

If someone could kindly point me to a website or two to start looking at
different types that would be great. My LFS said that I should ask and find
what I want first and then go back with names of the plants to see how we
go.

I have also adequate lighting setup on the tank, so if the plants don't
requite much light would that hurt them?

Des.

Old 02-11-2004, 05:14 PM
www.Fish-Forums.com

There are Tons of sites out there to help you out.
Check out Tropica.com as they have a very informative database.

Most of the greaasy plants you are refering to requre med to high
lighting
They can grow fasst and take ove rhte substrate but that makes the
tank look that much more beautiful in my opinion.

Most fish feel much more comfortable in a planted tank as well and
well come out more if it is.

For real pics check out our site.

Marc
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______
Want to win a FREE new co2 system or a lighting system check out our
forum for our newest contest coming up

http://www.fish-forums.com

Http://www.aquatic-store.com

Old 02-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Matt C.

Try aquariumplants.com They have a big selection and good tips and pics.

I am in no way affiliated with aquariumplants.com, i just like their stuff,
but i have yet to order from them....

--
Matt C.
http://home.comcast.net/~briarbushbrewery/

Old 03-11-2004, 03:55 AM
tim

one of my favorites is www.aquabotanic.com. It is an online store, with
pretty good pics and descriptions of their plants. But more importantly they
have excellent forums (http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x), you
can find tons of information on specific plants, aquascaping techniques and
photos, etc.
(I have no affiliation with them)

Also, www.azgardens.com, another store, has a nice selection so you can see
what's out there and then, like you said, you can search forums and the net
to learn more about the plants you see there.
(again no affiliation)

Tim