Old 31-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Christopher Krigbaum

Default Looking for a good resource for starting point

Hello all,

My name is Chris, located in NC. In the army. I've had fish at various times
over the years and looking at adding a new tank to my home office to add
some decor and some stress relief. Now that i've introduced myself I have a
few questions.

I'm looking at setting up a 29 gal tropical community tank. I'd like to use
live plants but only have experience with live plants in 10 gal tanks.
Frankly the larger size is kind of intimidating in that in the past I've not
had much space so confined myself to two or three plant types and didn't
need to do much in the way of planning. I've been looking through various
forums, webrings, and websites all day but don't really see what I'm looking
for. A while back I had a book that had some great information and some
pictures and diagrams of various tank layouts. Sadly I can't find the book
and a trip to the bookstore wasn't very helpful either. Shopping for a book
online seems to be my last resort but it has the added disadvantage of not
being able to flip through and make sure its what I need. I'm looking for
something along the lines of a landscaping book, ie graphed out plots
showing plant types and locations along with info on the plants and their
care, photos of the plants etc... The other complication here is that the
pet shops in the area generally don't have live aquarium plants and those
that do have them don't seem to care for them very well. I'll be mail
ordering these as well.

So, my questions a What is a good book and/or website on tropical plants
and tank layouts? (preferably with lots of detailed photos and diagrams as I
won't see much of this in person until after I've bought it.) and what is a
good online source for plants?

I greatly appreciate any help and information, thank you for your time,

Chris K.

Old 31-01-2005, 01:58 PM
spiral_72

One of these two books showed photo examples of various aquarium
layouts (Dutch for example)... from the local library.

Aquarium displays inspired by nature
Hiscock, Peter.

Aquarium designs inspired by nature
Hiscock, Peter.

The third book I just borrowed, give graphical layouts (like a
topographical map) for various types and sizes of aquaria.......It also
give plant types and quantity for the given display. Unfortunately I
can't find the name of it....... It was a smaller book (not that that
will help any) about 130 pages.... In the aquarium section of the
library. I'll keep looking for the title.

Old 31-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Scott Nabors

You might consider "Aquarium Plants" by Pablo Tepoot. Pricey, but well worth
it. Pix are excellent. Arizona Aquatic Gardens' website is quite good.

Old 01-02-2005, 03:00 AM
js1

http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=17

Old 01-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Happy'Cam'per

Chris

Instead of buying books you can visit the 'Aquatic gardeners association'
website. There are many tank setups aswell as layouts you can look at just
to get you going in the meantime. Books are nice to have but the net is up
to date and is much more of a resource IMO. Perhaps you can join at aquatic
plant central aswell, there is a hubb of experienced planty ppl there too,
loads to learn.

Regards
Cameron
--
"In the beginning, God said the four-dimensional divergence of an
antisymmetric,

. com...