Old 04-03-2005, 10:14 PM
Webmonk

Default Need a Good Online Resource for Identifying Houseplants

Can someone please direct me to a good online resource for identifying
houseplants? I have a few I want to identify and would love a good
online resource to dig through.

A similar site for outside plants would be great also.

Thanks!!!

Old 05-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonk
Can someone please direct me to a good online resource for identifying
houseplants? I have a few I want to identify and would love a good
online resource to dig through.

A similar site for outside plants would be great also.

Thanks!!!

Hi Webmonk,

Here's one for houseplants that you should find helpful. There's 12 pages, so look for the arrow in the upper right corner.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/i...ery/index.html

The ones I have for hardy plants aren't structured the same and you would have to click on name after name after name. Is there anything in particular you are looking for? Do you want to id trees, shrubs and/or herbaceous plants? How about wildflowers? Are you in the US? If not, what country? If in the US, is there a particular state or area of the country you are interested in? I have sites for those too. Just let me know what you are looking for more specifically. In the meantime, you might find these helpful. With the second one you can change the list to common names instead of the scientific (botanical) ones. This should get you started.

http://www.hort.uconn.edu:591/search.html
http://www.hort.net/gallery/a-z/
http://www.hort.cornell.edu/departme...017a/index.htm
http://www.noble.org/imagegallery/index.html
http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/
http://www.gpnc.org/floraof.htm

Another option would be to go to the library. Many of the gardening books have a plant encyclopedia in the back of them with nice pics and growing information. That is what I did when I first started so I could id what was in the garden I had inherited.

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.