Old 04-02-2005, 02:53 PM
spiral_72

Default pichers

Although, the site is not much...... Check out the picture of my tank.
Feel free to comment. some links/ect don't work just yet.

http://www.geocities.com/spiral_72/Spirals_page.html

I just installed my homebuilt light hood (which isn't in the picture)
with 160W of light. The fluorescent tubes are regular shop lights and
seem to emit a lot in the yellow-green spectrum. I think that's why I
am growing so much algae all of the sudden. Plant tubes next....more
pics to come of my light hood, my CO2 generator (see link below) and my
little 10 galllon.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...7b2feb6b8ba83a

Old 05-02-2005, 09:57 AM
Elaine T

spiral_72 wrote:
Although, the site is not much...... Check out the picture of my tank.
Feel free to comment. some links/ect don't work just yet.

http://www.geocities.com/spiral_72/Spirals_page.html

I just installed my homebuilt light hood (which isn't in the picture)
with 160W of light. The fluorescent tubes are regular shop lights and
seem to emit a lot in the yellow-green spectrum. I think that's why I
am growing so much algae all of the sudden. Plant tubes next....more
pics to come of my light hood, my CO2 generator (see link below) and my
little 10 galllon.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...7b2feb6b8ba83a

Pretty tank. I love the piece of driftwood you found.

Um...you're maybe suddenly growing algae because you don't have enough
plants. When I plant a tank for high light and CO2, I generally cover
75% of the substrate.

Half shop light tubes and half hardware store gro-lux bulbs give both
good plant growth and good color for watching the tank. Not quite as
nice as Tritons, but much, much cheaper.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 07-02-2005, 02:29 PM
spiral_72

Thanks! I am not running CO2 just yet.

Thanks for the light info too..... I was shocked how expensive the
plant tubes are. LFS wants $20 for a 4' bulb. I have to do something
though. The yellow color of those lights is TERRIBLE!
I looked at my local hardware store with no luck. I couldn't find
anything at Lowes or Home Depot either.... I guess I'll keep looking.
Gro-lux.

Oh, and thanks..... That diftwood is nicer than any I have ever found
for sale!

Old 07-02-2005, 04:20 PM
George Pontis

In article .com, spiral_72
@yahoo.com says...
Thanks! I am not running CO2 just yet.

Thanks for the light info too..... I was shocked how expensive the
plant tubes are. LFS wants $20 for a 4' bulb. I have to do something
though. The yellow color of those lights is TERRIBLE!
I looked at my local hardware store with no luck. I couldn't find
anything at Lowes or Home Depot either.... I guess I'll keep looking.
Gro-lux.

Our local Home Depot carries Phillips Advantage 5100K in F32T8. That tube appears
"white" to most people, has a spectrum well-suited to growing aquarium plants, and
is quite a bargain compared to the specialty tubes.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Sandy Birrell

spiral_72 wrote:
Thanks! I am not running CO2 just yet.

Thanks for the light info too..... I was shocked how expensive the
plant tubes are. LFS wants $20 for a 4' bulb. I have to do something
though. The yellow color of those lights is TERRIBLE!
I looked at my local hardware store with no luck. I couldn't find
anything at Lowes or Home Depot either.... I guess I'll keep looking.
Gro-lux.

Oh, and thanks..... That diftwood is nicer than any I have ever found
for sale!

These sites may be of help in deciding which lights to get.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/ah_main/mar1998.html

http://retirees.uwaterloo.ca/~jerry/orchids/tubes.html

http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~aphalo/old_pages/lamps.html

http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~aphalo/old_pages/lamps_JS.html

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy
Sandy

Old 09-02-2005, 02:16 PM
spiral_72

Thanks a bunch for the links. One of the tubes recommended was made by
GE. The specs a
48" T8 32W 5100K 86CRI and ~2600 lumens after the initial aging

I found one of these tubes at Grainger Industrial Supply down the road
and for $9.43 it was mine. The tube seems incredibly bright with a
slight blue-ish very "clean" light. I love the way it lights the neons.
WOW! All colors in the tank are more vivid. I am going to replace the
shop lights with the GE's money permitting. It's too early to tell what
if anything it did for my plant growth/algae problem (obviously), but
time will tell.

my aquarium page, info and pics at:
www.geocities.com/spiral_72/Spirals_page.html

Old 09-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Richard Sexton

In article . com,
spiral_72 wrote:
Thanks a bunch for the links. One of the tubes recommended was made by
GE. The specs a
48" T8 32W 5100K 86CRI and ~2600 lumens after the initial aging

I found one of these tubes at Grainger Industrial Supply down the road
and for $9.43 it was mine. The tube seems incredibly bright with a
slight blue-ish very "clean" light. I love the way it lights the neons.
WOW! All colors in the tank are more vivid. I am going to replace the
shop lights with the GE's money permitting. It's too early to tell what
if anything it did for my plant growth/algae problem (obviously), but
time will tell.

$9 seems a little high. Home Despot was selling Philips versions
of these tubes or $2 over xmas, on sa,e from their regular $4.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org
Old 10-02-2005, 01:16 AM
MrsMarsig

Tank looks nice! I checked out your aquarium notes--nicely done!

Old 10-02-2005, 01:23 PM
spiral_72

Thanks!

Figgered I would take a stab at this web page stuff. I'm still learning.