Old 07-02-2005, 09:58 PM
kev

On 07 Feb 2005, the world was enlightened by Margolis's opinion about...

"Richard Santink" wrote in message

I recently experimented with DIY CO2 reactors.. although I was
pleased with the numbers, it seemed to cloud my water a bit, and I
noticed an

odour.

I am reasonable sure that no sugar/water/yeast solution made its way
into my tank directly, but, are there any side effects of the yeast
method? Were the clouding and odour just symptomatic of something
else?

I have since removed and discarded the contents of the reactors until
I can figure out what went wrong..

I've never used the diy co2 method, so I can't comment on your
problems.

I can say this though, diy co2 on a 125Gallon tank is pointless. It
is only good up to about 20 gallons or so.

I have no problem getting 19ppm on a 55g using 2-2L bottles, swapping out
1 bottle every two weeks. I feed the CO2 directly into the venturi of a
powerhead and get a very fine bubble mist. A 125 is possible to do DIY.
4-2L bottles, rotating one bottle out a week, should provide plenty of
CO2.

kev

--
Civilization.

An organized system of alternatives to the stone age - CJCherryh