Old 06-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Dave S

Default CO2

How do I increase CO2, my current readings a

PH 8.0, KH 9 and CO2 3

---
Dave Scott
Hampshire, England

Beware spam trap when replying

Old 06-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Margolis

either make yourself a diy co2 system using 2 litre soda bottles with yeast
and suger or get a pressurized co2 tank. What size aquarium?

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Old 06-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Dave S

"Margolis" wrote in message
either make yourself a diy co2 system using 2 litre soda bottles with
yeast
and suger or get a pressurized co2 tank. What size aquarium?

I have a pressurised CO2 system and have been using it for a week now.
Aquarium size: 400ltrs

Old 06-02-2005, 07:31 PM
CanadianCray

With a pressurized system if your having trouble getting the CO2 up. Maybe
you have too much surface agitation.

--
Craig Williams

Old 06-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Nikki Casali

Dave S wrote:
"Margolis" wrote in message

either make yourself a diy co2 system using 2 litre soda bottles with
yeast
and suger or get a pressurized co2 tank. What size aquarium?

I have a pressurised CO2 system and have been using it for a week now.
Aquarium size: 400ltrs

How are you diffusing the CO2 into the tank water? You're using a
diffuser, not just bare tubing, right?

Nikki

Old 07-02-2005, 02:28 AM
Richard Santink

Margolis wrote:
either make yourself a diy co2 system using 2 litre soda bottles with

yeast
and suger or get a pressurized co2 tank. What size aquarium?

I recently experimented with DIY CO2 reactors.. although I was pleased
with the numbers, it seemed to cloud my water a bit, and I noticed an odour.

I am reasonable sure that no sugar/water/yeast solution made its way
into my tank directly, but, are there any side effects of the yeast
method? Were the clouding and odour just symptomatic of something else?

I have since removed and discarded the contents of the reactors until I
can figure out what went wrong..

Any ideas?

Regards,

Richard
125g long

Old 07-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Dave S

"Nikki Casali" wrote in message

Dave S wrote:
"Margolis" wrote in message

either make yourself a diy co2 system using 2 litre soda bottles with
yeast
and suger or get a pressurized co2 tank. What size aquarium?

I have a pressurised CO2 system and have been using it for a week now.
Aquarium size: 400ltrs

How are you diffusing the CO2 into the tank water? You're using a
diffuser, not just bare tubing, right?

Nikki

Hi Nikki

I'm using a CO2 Complet kit.(
http://www.aquatics-warehouse.co.uk/...2_KIT_132.html )
I've discarded the bubble counter and reactor and using another type or
reactor.

Thanks - Dave

Old 07-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Dave S

Thanks Craig - Yes, this week I did have a lot of surface agitation. I've
now adjusted the spray bar so that although there is surface movement it is
not heavy enough to encourage air.

Dave

.. .

Old 07-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Ozdude

"Richard Santink" wrote in message

I recently experimented with DIY CO2 reactors.. although I was pleased
with the numbers, it seemed to cloud my water a bit, and I noticed an
odour.

I am reasonable sure that no sugar/water/yeast solution made its way
into my tank directly, but, are there any side effects of the yeast
method? Were the clouding and odour just symptomatic of something else?

The odour (I think) is the alcohol by-product of the fermenting yeast.

I too get a slight clouding when my mixtures are new and a thin white skin
thing on some of the rubber and suckers in the tank. I've read about this
white by-product on various how-to's and discussions about yeast generator
systems. According to all of these things I've read, there is no cause for
concern about the white stuff, it's apparently harmless and no-one seems to
know what it actually is. I have my own theories that it's a form of benign
bacteria from the carbonic acid, but apart from that I find the slight
milkiness in the water goes after about 4 or 5 days, when the mixture
settles down into it's middle period.

I have since removed and discarded the contents of the reactors until I
can figure out what went wrong..

Sounds normal to me, to be honest. I house my bottles in a sealed bucket and
only ever smell the smell when I change or agitate the bottles (about every
two days).

Oz

Old 07-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Margolis

"Richard Santink" wrote in message

I recently experimented with DIY CO2 reactors.. although I was pleased
with the numbers, it seemed to cloud my water a bit, and I noticed an

odour.

I am reasonable sure that no sugar/water/yeast solution made its way
into my tank directly, but, are there any side effects of the yeast
method? Were the clouding and odour just symptomatic of something else?

I have since removed and discarded the contents of the reactors until I
can figure out what went wrong..

I've never used the diy co2 method, so I can't comment on your problems.

I can say this though, diy co2 on a 125Gallon tank is pointless. It is only
good up to about 20 gallons or so.

Old 07-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Ozdude

"Margolis" wrote in message
I've never used the diy co2 method, so I can't comment on your problems.

I can say this though, diy co2 on a 125Gallon tank is pointless. It is
only
good up to about 20 gallons or so.

I works on my 50Gal/200L using two 2L bottles and the Tom Barr internal CO2
reactor.

I get ~15ppm, pearling and plant growth.

2 X 2L bottle systems (2 active reactors) would work in a larger than 100GAL
tank IMO.

Oz

--
My Aquatic web Blog is at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ivan.smith

Old 07-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Nikki Casali

Dave S wrote:

"Margolis" wrote in message

either make yourself a diy co2 system using 2 litre soda bottles with
yeast
and suger or get a pressurized co2 tank. What size aquarium?

I have a pressurised CO2 system and have been using it for a week now.
Aquarium size: 400ltrs

How are you diffusing the CO2 into the tank water? You're using a
diffuser, not just bare tubing, right?

Nikki

Hi Nikki

I'm using a CO2 Complet kit.(
http://www.aquatics-warehouse.co.uk/...2_KIT_132.html )
I've discarded the bubble counter and reactor and using another type or
reactor.

How many bubbles per minute do you have going? 40 bubbles per minute in
my 330l aquarium took the pH from 8.1 down 7.5.

Nikki

Old 07-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Dave S

Dave S wrote:

"Margolis" wrote in message

either make yourself a diy co2 system using 2 litre soda bottles with
yeast
and suger or get a pressurized co2 tank. What size aquarium?

I have a pressurised CO2 system and have been using it for a week now.
Aquarium size: 400ltrs

How are you diffusing the CO2 into the tank water? You're using a
diffuser, not just bare tubing, right?

Nikki

Hi Nikki

I'm using a CO2 Complet kit.(
http://www.aquatics-warehouse.co.uk/...2_KIT_132.html )
I've discarded the bubble counter and reactor and using another type or
reactor.

How many bubbles per minute do you have going? 40 bubbles per minute in my
330l aquarium took the pH from 8.1 down 7.5.

Nikki

Mine is running at 15 bubbles per min (this is as per the advice in the
handbook). I think I'll increase it by 5 (say) per day.

Dave

Old 07-02-2005, 02:49 PM
steve

Ozdude wrote:
I too get a slight clouding when my mixtures are new and a thin white

skin
thing on some of the rubber and suckers in the tank. I've read about

this
white by-product on various how-to's and discussions about yeast

generator
systems. According to all of these things I've read, there is no

cause for
concern about the white stuff, it's apparently harmless and no-one

seems to
know what it actually is. I have my own theories that it's a form of

benign
bacteria from the carbonic acid, but apart from that I find the

slight
milkiness in the water goes after about 4 or 5 days, when the mixture

settles down into it's middle period.

Oz, I'm running a pressurized system and I get the same film on the
suction cups, so it's not just related to the yeast system. I think
you're right about the link to carbonic acid.

steve

Old 07-02-2005, 09:35 PM
Richard Santink

I works on my 50Gal/200L using two 2L bottles and the Tom Barr internal CO2
reactor.

I get ~15ppm, pearling and plant growth.

2 X 2L bottle systems (2 active reactors) would work in a larger than 100GAL
tank IMO.

Oz

It definitely brought my numbers up (there are only 3 small @2"
bullheads in there), and there is NO surface agitation...

I think I might try some of those CO2 kits, to see how they compare..

Thanks,

RAS