Old 25-02-2005, 11:27 PM
Richard Sexton

The disease, whatever it is, seems to be progressing. Is there anything I
could do to save this plant?

The tank has beed running for two weeks. pH is 7.8, ammonia 0, nitrite 0.25,
nitrate 5 ppm. I alwo added some liquid fertilizer.

Too much light is not your problem. What's in the fertilizer you used?

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org
Old 26-02-2005, 12:11 AM
Jan

I use Big Al's Multipurpose Plant Food Supplement.

Contents:
soluble potash, copper, iron, manganese, molybdenium, zinc, kelp extract,
vitamin B1.

Old 26-02-2005, 05:32 AM
Elaine T

Richard Sexton wrote:
In article ,
Elaine T wrote:

Jan wrote:

I recently set up a 20 gallon tank, and added some plants. One of them
developed brown spots on the leaves. You can see the photo at

It's planted in the middle of the tank, where there is more light. Could
this plant be getting too much light? The other plants, bought at the same
time, look great.

The disease, whatever it is, seems to be progressing. Is there anything I
could do to save this plant?

The tank has beed running for two weeks. pH is 7.8, ammonia 0, nitrite 0.25,
nitrate 5 ppm. I alwo added some liquid fertilizer.

Another thought. Those swords are often grown emersed and the foliage
doesn't always adapt well to being submerged. If that is the case,
healthy new foliage will begin to grow from the middle of the plant.

I think the brown holes are a red herring and that it's a Nitrogen
deficiency. The new leaves aren't green, and they should be.

You know, that pattern of green veins and lighter mesophyl on the older
leaves looks EXACTLY like an Echinodorus leaf picture in the Optimum
Aquarium (p.117) labeled "Christmas Tree disease." Horst and Kipper say
that vein pattern is due to either manganese deficiency or iron overdosing.

I see what you mean about the new growth, though. Is that what low
nitrogen does? I'm always trying to lower it - not add more. ;-)

--
__ Elaine T __
__'
Old 26-02-2005, 06:40 AM
Richard Sexton

You know, that pattern of green veins and lighter mesophyl on the older
leaves looks EXACTLY like an Echinodorus leaf picture in the Optimum
Aquarium (p.117) labeled "Christmas Tree disease." Horst and Kipper say
that vein pattern is due to either manganese deficiency or iron overdosing.

Without doing any tests but in all probability I'd say it's an iron
deficiency. Tropica master Grow or SeaChem iron is indicated. Any
iron source will do more or less, but these two are IMO the best.

I have a slight preference for the Tropica stuff because the bottle
is so handy - although you can buy those bottles from GregWatson(.com).

I see what you mean about the new growth, though. Is that what low
nitrogen does? I'm always trying to lower it - not add more. ;-)

Well, there's no hard and fast rule. You have to add enough NO3
to bring you up to where you want to be based on where you are initially.

There's a nice graph in that book thatshows the rise in nitrate in
German tapwater over time; I have zero nitrate in my well water
and would have to add more than somebody who has some in theirs.

I aim for 20ppm NO3 and would rather see 30 than 10.

Old 27-02-2005, 12:01 AM
Jan

I just bought some fertilizer pellets, I'll also continue using the liquid
fertilizer. I just don't want to overdose - the label says iron "may be
toxic to some fish" - how much of a concern is it? I am new to keeping live
plants, and I've never used fertilizer before.

Old 27-02-2005, 01:35 AM
Richard Sexton

In article , Jan wrote:
I just bought some fertilizer pellets, I'll also continue using the liquid
fertilizer. I just don't want to overdose - the label says iron "may be
toxic to some fish" - how much of a concern is it? I am new to keeping live
plants, and I've never used fertilizer before.

Wellll, allegedly the most iron you want in a tank is 0.3ppm. Mine
comes out of the tap that way. I would't sweat it.

Old 27-02-2005, 03:53 AM
Elaine T

Richard Sexton wrote:
In article , Jan wrote:

I just bought some fertilizer pellets, I'll also continue using the liquid
fertilizer. I just don't want to overdose - the label says iron "may be
toxic to some fish" - how much of a concern is it? I am new to keeping live
plants, and I've never used fertilizer before.

Wellll, allegedly the most iron you want in a tank is 0.3ppm. Mine
comes out of the tap that way. I would't sweat it.

It should be chelated too, and that's way less toxic. I've never hurt
anything in a tank dosing commercial liquid iron fertilizer by the
suggested dosage on the label.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__