Old 04-03-2005, 04:15 PM
I3 I L L

Default Fish Diseases(off topic)

I have 2 rainbows that have these large patches in which their color is
getting litter. It is like a white film over their scales. I have seen
numerous diseases but this one I cannot identify. One fish has already
stopped eating and is just hovering behind my vals. I did a complete
analysis of my water and everything came back fine. I did a 50% water
change last night and have been treating with pimafix since. If anybody
can help identify what my fish have I would greatly appreciate it. I
will try and get a picture up today.

Old 04-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Ozdude

"I3 I L L" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have 2 rainbows that have these large patches in which their color is
getting litter. It is like a white film over their scales. I have seen
numerous diseases but this one I cannot identify. One fish has already
stopped eating and is just hovering behind my vals. I did a complete
analysis of my water and everything came back fine. I did a 50% water
change last night and have been treating with pimafix since. If anybody
can help identify what my fish have I would greatly appreciate it. I
will try and get a picture up today.

Sounds like a bacterial infection. My fish have had this and other symptoms
recently and I've lost a lot of mine to what I think is known commonly as
"Flex" - or Columnaris flexibacter. My water is crystal clear and tests
A0,Ni0,Na5ppm, but I have had stress, high temperatures, dirty substrate,
variable water circulation, low dissolved oxygen and unquarantined fish from
the LFS, which have lead me to believe I have Flex. I've lost 20% of my fish
so far and I'm in the beginning stages of tank wide treatment.

I won't go into it here but look for my messages and thread entitled "Now
I'm really worried!!" in news:alt.aquaria

Oz

--
My Aquatic web Blog is at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ivan.smith

Old 04-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Elaine T

Ozdude wrote:
"I3 I L L" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Actually, Oz, an increase in slimecoat like OP describes is often caused
by protozoan infections rather than bacterial. Chilodonella causes
excessive mucus production, clamped fins, and lethargy with no visible
spots. It's treated like ich with salt baths at 2-4 tbsp/gallon outside
the tank or formalin/malachite green.

There's a bit of info on it here.
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/doc...hprotist.shtml

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 05-03-2005, 01:24 AM
Ozdude

"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...
Actually, Oz, an increase in slimecoat like OP describes is often caused
by protozoan infections rather than bacterial. Chilodonella causes
excessive mucus production, clamped fins, and lethargy with no visible
spots. It's treated like ich with salt baths at 2-4 tbsp/gallon outside
the tank or formalin/malachite green.

There's a bit of info on it here.
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/doc...hprotist.shtml

I've got Flex on the mind I think

It could be a few things as you've noticed.

Oz

--
My Aquatic web Blog is at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ivan.smith