Old 24-03-2005, 01:03 PM
IeatCichlidFood

Default duck weed

is duckweed illegal everywhere, because it is here. I wanted some
because plants are good for water quality but oscars tend to tear up
plants, so I figured duck weed would be good, but no. They said it might
get into the water system and over run the place

Old 24-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Rocco Moretti

IeatCichlidFood wrote:
is duckweed illegal everywhere, because it is here.

Define "here." I don't think it is by me (Midwest US). The LFS has it
floating in their plant tanks and isn't shy about handing it out - heck,
they don't even charge if you request some with another plant purchase.
Not that it matters if it gets out - the local ponds/lakes all have
duckweed in them anyway.

If duckweed is illegal in your area, you might want to look for other
floating plants. The FAQ at the Krib has a list
(http://faq.thekrib.com/plant-list.html) Look for the floating plant
symbol. I've been looking at Salvina, myself (if I could find some).
Old 24-03-2005, 03:15 PM
wormsburp

Where do you live? Where I come from it's native, and it will cover
still pools of water like a carpet. In fact, my dog ran right over such
a pool of water once and promptly sank, much to his surprise. The
duckweek swallowed him up, until his head popped up again a second
later. I guess I could understand their concern.

Old 24-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Margolis

I get it when I just buy fish without even asking ;op

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Old 25-03-2005, 01:18 AM
dfreas

The first time I tried to get duckweed for my tank (for the exact same
reason as you but with goldfish instead of an oscar) I was told by my
LFS that it was illegal to sell it here (in VA). However many places
will throw it in with other plant purchases if you ask them too -
almost all LFS workers say they hate the stuff and are glad to give it
away.

Incidentally I never did buy any of it - I went out to the great dismal
swamp (about 15 minutes from my house) and found a ton of it along with
hornwort, anacharis, and frogbit - all for free.

-Daniel

Old 25-03-2005, 11:04 PM
sophie

In message .com,
dfreas writes
The first time I tried to get duckweed for my tank (for the exact same
reason as you but with goldfish instead of an oscar)

they eat it, she said gloomily.
by the tonne.
--
sophie
Old 26-03-2005, 12:14 AM
dfreas

Indeed. It was soon after this find that I traded my goldfish to the
LFS for store credit. They had destroyed every attempt I made at a
decent looking tank and generally annoyed me. Luckily however I got rid
of them before they completely destroyed my collected plants and all of
the plants recovered and refilled the tank. It was quite a success in
the end. I don't like goldfish much anymore. They're pretty in their
way, but annoying little buggers.

-Daniel

Old 26-03-2005, 11:06 AM
sophie

In message .com,
dfreas writes
Indeed. It was soon after this find that I traded my goldfish to the
LFS for store credit. They had destroyed every attempt I made at a
decent looking tank and generally annoyed me. Luckily however I got rid
of them before they completely destroyed my collected plants and all of
the plants recovered and refilled the tank. It was quite a success in
the end. I don't like goldfish much anymore. They're pretty in their
way, but annoying little buggers.

I got them when my little boy wanted fish.
it meant (a) I didn't have to by a heater
and (b) didn't have to buy a lid or a light.

they are now in a four foot tank with lid and light and the little tank
I had originally has tropicals, with lid and light and heater.
sigh.
I don't actually like the goldfish much (for the same reasons as you, I
think; they are little ****-factories), though I do like their
tankmates. I would like to swap them for a heater and some pearl
gourami. or... or... or...
--
sophie

Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Troy Church Ponds 7 05-04-2005 09:22 PM
Duck, duck, goose! Monique Reed Edible Gardening 1 23-10-2003 02:22 AM
My Duck Weed Farm BenignVanilla Ponds 1 03-07-2003 04:08 AM
Duck weed. Anna Vaca Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:20 AM
Duck Weed Paul Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:08 AM