Old 23-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Mr. Zee

Default Philodendron (Roots) in Tanks?

I saw this idea on a discus site. (I forget which one.) The idea is that
the roots will use the nitrates and such just as regular aquarium plants do.
You dangle the bare roots in the water and have the plant out hanging over
the aquarium. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

Old 23-04-2005, 04:38 PM

Yes, I've done this to some of the displays at my workplace, but it's
not just limited to philodendrons.... Spathiphylums (commonly known as
"Peace Lilies", certain types of Anubias (after acclimating to lower
humidity levels), various Dracaenas, Acorus, Syngonium Triflorum
(Arrowhead), Lysimachia (Creeping Charlie), and Cryptocoryne Ciliata
(after acclimating to lower humidity). I'm sure that there are many
more species that would take well to this type of usage, these are just
the ones that I've tried and been successful with so far. Most of the
species that I've listed have generic 6500K bulbs over them. Good
luck to you on trying this.

,Seth

Old 23-04-2005, 11:24 PM
john huddleston

I have 4 tanks, 3 of them are planted with philodendron monstera. the other
tank has algae.
You don`t have to have a very large plant to keep the tank clear. Two tanks
use cuttings consisting of 4 semi juvenile leaves (about 6 inches across
with few swiss cheese holes) my largest tank has a monstera with a root
system that covers half the tank and none of them have had any algae,
dispite being heavily stocked with fish. All of the above tanks also have
filters though, i`ve yet to see of a single monstera could cope with the
waste of 30 or so fish. I might switch of the filters for a few days and
monitor ammonia/nitrite....

I have used a couple of other plants in the past, spider plants, wandering
jew/tradascantia. they all work but monstera seems to be the most effective
(and the roots look more impressive). Just clean the roots, drop them into
the tank and cut a hole in the back of the hood for the stem to come out. I
was considering trying to grow strawberries like this.

link.net...