Old 22-05-2005, 06:35 AM
Ross Vandegrift

Default CF lights fade in?

Hello everyone,

I'm usually still in bed when my tank lights come one, but this morning
I wasn't. And when they did, I noticed that they seemed very dim.
Slowly, they got brighter. I'm a bit concerned that the ballast is
going south or something.

It's an AH supply kit with a home built hood. 2x55Watt in a wood
enclosure that's really well ventilated - the top is mostly open.
Nothing bad has fallen in or anything like that and everything else
seems ok.

Is this normal?

--
Ross Vandegrift

man in the bonds of Hell."

Old 22-05-2005, 09:34 AM
HairyMcLeary

"Ross Vandegrift" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

I'm usually still in bed when my tank lights come one, but this morning
I wasn't. And when they did, I noticed that they seemed very dim.
Slowly, they got brighter. I'm a bit concerned that the ballast is
going south or something.

It's an AH supply kit with a home built hood. 2x55Watt in a wood
enclosure that's really well ventilated - the top is mostly open.
Nothing bad has fallen in or anything like that and everything else
seems ok.

Is this normal?

--
Ross Vandegrift

man in the bonds of Hell."

Most CFs take 5 or 10 minutes to reach peak brightness, or so the
manufacturers claim, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Tony

Old 22-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Ross Vandegrift

On 2005-05-22, Curtis T wrote:
Make sure your connections to the ballast are good. I know when I installed
my PC from AH Supply 1 of my connections was loose which made the PC light
dim and then 60 mins later it would be bright. Also if that is not the trick
how long have you had the Ballast? I know I have talked to AH Supply on the
phone they seem to be real nice guys over there in New York give them a
call. If you have your invoice there is a 800 number on there.

Maybe I'll call them at some point - good to know.

My connections are quite good. I've got some hobbiest experience at
electronics and it's actually the second fixture I've put together with
their parts.

Tony said it takes 5-10 minutes per manufacturers, and mine are in that
range, not 60 mins. So I'm probably ok. Just seemed odd with how fast
the instant start ballasts other wise kick up!

--
Ross Vandegrift

man in the bonds of Hell."

Old 23-05-2005, 05:27 AM
puneet

Its actually a boon in disguise. Imagine all darkness say at 7:59am and
suddenly sun shines to its full brightness at 8am. (I have assumed
arbriatry timings).
If the light brightens over a period of time then the fish in your tank
are more comfortable
Puneet

Old 24-05-2005, 06:06 AM
Ross Vandegrift

On 2005-05-23, puneet wrote:
Its actually a boon in disguise. Imagine all darkness say at 7:59am and
suddenly sun shines to its full brightness at 8am. (I have assumed
arbriatry timings).
If the light brightens over a period of time then the fish in your tank
are more comfortable

True enough! Unfortuantely for my fishies, the fade in starts at too
bright a level to really be an effective fade in for that purpose.

--
Ross Vandegrift

man in the bonds of Hell."

OT OT Brain fade re NZ trip Sacha[_4_] United Kingdom 0 18-09-2009 06:03 PM
Before they fade one more shot- Gladiola on fire - DSC_0003a.jpg joevan[_2_] Garden Photos 4 26-08-2007 09:54 PM
Fade to green. Marutchi Garden Photos 0 02-04-2007 04:51 AM
Fade to Brown Marutchi Garden Photos 0 01-02-2007 12:48 PM
Old cordylines only fade away Eric United Kingdom 0 20-08-2003 04:22 PM