Old 26-05-2005, 06:05 AM
Scott

Default Cultivating plants

I have several different plants growing in a 10 gallon tank. Most were
bought from bulbs at Wal-Mart, so I am not sure what they are - MOST of them
seem to be aponogeton plants, which seem to be about the only frickin' bulbs
from Wal-Mart that will grow. One other that did sprout claims to be some
sort of lily pad type of plant. The other two that seem to grow were bought
as potted plants from a LFS, but I have no idea what they are - one threw
off a runner that is growing nicely.

I will post pics of the tank to alt.binaries.aquaria for reference if that
is any help.

I am running 2 DIY soda bottles for c02 changed alternately every week
directly into my power filter, which has made an amazing difference in plant
growth. My questions a

1. Can anyone positively ID the plants from the pictures...
2. On the care and pruning of the plants...

I have had one plant put out one successfully planted and cultivated runner.
How can I make the plants that I have put out more? Or how can I
successfully take parts of the plants that I have now by selectively pruning
and planting - and get more plants? I need to know the best way to cut back
a little growth because this tank is taking off, and I have an empty
(cycled) tank with a plant substrate that I would LOVE to take some
overgrowth from the other tank and start another planted tank!

Basically, it boils down to what types of cutting from an established plant
is viable as a new plant...

TIA

---scott

Old 27-05-2005, 02:37 AM
Paul A. Ergh

I had a much better experience with Wal-Mart bulbs. I planted 4 Apons and 3
Lilies. All of the bulbs sprouted except 1 of the Apons.

If you get a runner you can just cut the runner just before the roots of the
new plant ( after it has enough of its own roots to survive the
replanting ).

"Cultivating wisdom" Mike Gardening 0 19-04-2004 02:04 PM
OT Cultivating an ethical flower trade BBC story stuart henry Orchids 0 14-03-2004 12:17 PM
OT Cultivating an ethical flower trade BBC story stuart henry Orchids 0 14-03-2004 12:15 PM
Strawberry Cultivating Janice United Kingdom 1 22-06-2003 08:42 AM
cultivating amazon swords Kate Quirk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 20-04-2003 06:09 AM