Old 08-03-2003, 07:34 PM
Ken

Default Digital pH monitor

I've decided to set up an automatic CO2 system for my 20 gal tank.
I've decided to go with an inexpensive "student" electrode as it has
high durability and sufficient accuracy for the task. Unfortunately
the only pH monitors that I have found are the 2 that dupla sells. Is
this it? Or am I going to have to spend $500 for a scientific grade
meter (which I won't).

Ken
Old 09-03-2003, 06:58 AM
Paulio629

There are a few around.
Pinpoint
Hanna
Milwaukee
These guys sell Hanna and Milwaukee
http://www.automatedaquariums.com
www.drsfostersmith.com sells pinpoint.

Old 10-03-2003, 08:33 PM
Dave Millman

Ken wrote:

I've decided to set up an automatic CO2 system for my 20 gal tank.
I've decided to go with an inexpensive "student" electrode as it has
high durability and sufficient accuracy for the task. Unfortunately
the only pH monitors that I have found are the 2 that dupla sells. Is
this it? Or am I going to have to spend $500 for a scientific grade
meter (which I won't).

Not to cause trouble, but what is your reason for building a CO2 control
system? Leaving the CO2 on 24 hours per day works fine, and lots of people
turn the CO2 on and off with their lights.

Do you have a specific application that requires pinpoint pH control, such
that you are willing to undertake the ongoing probe calibration and
maintenance, and risk pH crash due to probe/system failure?

Old 11-03-2003, 11:01 PM
Ken

Dave Millman wrote in message ...
Ken wrote:

I've decided to set up an automatic CO2 system for my 20 gal tank.
I've decided to go with an inexpensive "student" electrode as it has
high durability and sufficient accuracy for the task. Unfortunately
the only pH monitors that I have found are the 2 that dupla sells. Is
this it? Or am I going to have to spend $500 for a scientific grade
meter (which I won't).

Not to cause trouble, but what is your reason for building a CO2 control
system? Leaving the CO2 on 24 hours per day works fine, and lots of people
turn the CO2 on and off with their lights.

Do you have a specific application that requires pinpoint pH control, such
that you are willing to undertake the ongoing probe calibration and
maintenance, and risk pH crash due to probe/system failure?

No trouble, it's just that I have experience with dealing w/ pH meters
as I use them everyday at work, so the calibration/maintenance issue
isn't that big a deal. Plus, gel filled electrodes are pretty much
maintenence free, which is why I'm getting one rather than use
whatever comes with the meter. Mostly, I just like the idea of having
my pH (and therefore my CO2 levels) monitored and regulated 24/7.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:26 AM
Steve

Hi.. Where did you get the gell-filled PH probe? Will it work with my
PinPoint Ph Monitor?? it has a BNC connector to it..

Steve

om...

Old 12-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Ken

"Steve" wrote in message ...
Hi.. Where did you get the gell-filled PH probe? Will it work with my
PinPoint Ph Monitor?? it has a BNC connector to it..

There are two places you can look (I haven't bought anything yet).
VWR www.vwr.com and Fisher Scientific www.fishersci.com

I'd go with VWR first as they have a better website, but check out
Fisher too. You also might try calling tech support and asking what
they have that meets your requirements (continuous monitoring, low
maintanance, etc) as they can be very helpful, but probably don't have
much aquarium knowledge. Most of the electrodes should come available
with BNC connectors. Of course, if you're willing to spend about
$500, you can get a CO2 sensing electrode from either of them.

What sort of electrode does PinPoint send with their monitor? Nobody
seems to give too much info on the website.