Old 09-03-2007, 02:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Staghorn Frond

Platycerium superbum
showing spores.

Our garden

Attached Thumbnails
Staghorn Frond-b-2610-staghorn-09-03-07-30-90.jpg
Old 09-03-2007, 05:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Barbara, I am noticing the green colours in your pictures? They are very
deep in shade. Now I have a new monitor, new computer with
Vista O/S. Different Video card & I am wondering if it is my equipment &
maybe my monitor needs adjusting?
The Vista Photo Gallery (editing/viewing etc) stinks!!
I am not just picking on you & yours, it's just that I know the colours of
the Staghorn.
Cheers Wendy

"Marutchi" wrote in message
Platycerium superbum
showing spores.

Our garden

Old 09-03-2007, 06:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Wendy7 wrote:
Barbara, I am noticing the green colours in your pictures? They are
very deep in shade. Now I have a new monitor, new computer with
Vista O/S. Different Video card & I am wondering if it is my equipment &
maybe my monitor needs adjusting?
The Vista Photo Gallery (editing/viewing etc) stinks!!
I am not just picking on you & yours, it's just that I know the colours
of the Staghorn.
Cheers Wendy

The monitor governs what you see, not the video card or the OS. Copy an
old file onto your new computer, an image whose colours you know well.
Then adjust the monitor until it looks right to you. Note that LCD
monitors do not produce the exactly the same colours as the old CRTs,
nor do they have the same contrast range, so you may not get quite what
you want.

You can also use colour test cards/images, I'll post a couple here for
your, um, enjoyment. They are also excellent for testing your printer,
and adjusting printer colour profiles.

As for image viewing and editing - sigh. That's a big subject.

If you still have your old machine, and used a 3rd party viewer/editor,
you can transfer that program to your new machine. You will have to find
its installation file (an *.exe file or a *.zip file). Or else dig out
the CD it came on.

You can remove Photogallery, or inactivate it, but you'll have to go to
a Vista newsgroup to find out how to do it. I don't use Vista (and never
will, see PS below).

Good 3rd party software is out there. Digital cameras come with adequate
programs, some with very good ones. But you may want to explore
alternatives.

For freeware, try Irfanview, it works very well. Google on its name. If
you're willing to spend some time mastering it, GIMP is as powerful as
Paintshop or Photoshop.

If you are willing to spend a few bucks, try PMView, IMO easier to use
than Irfanview, but doesn't handle as many image file formats.

If you are willing to spend more bucks, buy Paintshop. If you are
willing to spend loadsadough, buy Photoshop.

PS: Vista is designed to enforce Digital Rights Management, which has
reportedly caused trouble for people who have older CDs and DVDs, and/or
who make their own. Vista is said to refuse to play them. Besides, it's
even more bloated than XP, which means that you need more powerful
hardware merely to equal the performance of Win2000 and XP. It also ties
MS's own applications even more tightly into the operating system, which
means that they will be difficult if not impossible to remove or
inactivate, should you decide that you prefer to use other software
instead (which is after all your right.) Any one of these reasons is
enough for me to avoid it. I'm going Linux, just haven't decided whether
I want new, really screamin' hardware, too. :-)

--

Wolf

"Don't believe everything you think." (Maxine)
Old 10-03-2007, 01:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

:-)

--

Wolf

"Don't believe everything you think." (Maxine)

Irfanview works just fine on Vista. No need to remove Photogallery just
set what ever viewing software you choose to use as the default.

DVD's that I created on XP play fine on my new Vista machine

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 10-03-2007, 01:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Wendy7 wrote:
Barbara, I am noticing the green colours in your pictures? They
are very deep in shade. Now I have a new monitor, new computer with
Vista O/S. Different Video card & I am wondering if it is my
equipment & maybe my monitor needs adjusting?
The Vista Photo Gallery (editing/viewing etc) stinks!!
I am not just picking on you & yours, it's just that I know the
colours of the Staghorn.

There are so many variables Wendy, such as the light when I took the photo,
it was in deep shade, with bright light to one side and also your monitor
can make it look different. On my monitor the colour looks about right given
the light at the time the photo was taken.
If you've just acquired an LCD monitor, you may need to adjust the
brightness and contrast. When I bought my first LCD monitor, I was just
about ready to through it out the window, I just couldn't seem to get it
adjusted correctly. The difference in colour/brightness between it and the
CRT monitor on my spare computer, were very noticeable. I've recently bought
another LCD monitor for my spare computer and once again it took me several
days and lots of fiddling with colour charts and calibration charts, to get
it just how I wanted. that's not to say I have it correctly set up, what
looks about right to me, may show up different to other people. I do know
that when I have prints ( I don't print myself, I get them done at a lab.)
made of my photos, the colours and the brightness/contrast of the prints
seem to match up pretty well with how the photos look on my monitor.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Marutchi wrote:

When I bought my first LCD monitor, I was
just about ready to through**

*throw*

Old 10-03-2007, 05:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Oh ok I shall have to check my LCD monitor. Thanks Barbara so along with
Wolf's color charts, printing
them & comparing the colours on the monitor.
Thanks again,
Cheers Wendy

Old 13-03-2007, 12:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 00:31:13 +1000, "Marutchi"
wrote:

Platycerium superbum
showing spores.

Our garden

Do you grow them from spores? do you get volunteers?
--

09=ix
Old 13-03-2007, 12:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 09:00:27 -0800, "Wendy7" wrote:

Barbara, I am noticing the green colours in your pictures? They are very
deep in shade. Now I have a new monitor, new computer with
Vista O/S. Different Video card & I am wondering if it is my equipment &
maybe my monitor needs adjusting?

The frond looks greener than I am used to seeing, maybe growing in the
tropics they aren't the gray green we are used to.
--

09=ix
Old 13-03-2007, 12:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Garrapata wrote:

Do you grow them from spores? do you get volunteers?

As I get the odd volunteer, I've never bothered to cultivate spores.

Old 14-03-2007, 10:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Marutchi" wrote in message
Garrapata wrote:

Do you grow them from spores? do you get volunteers?

As I get the odd volunteer, I've never bothered to cultivate spores.

Hi.
I'm new to this group and didn't see the original pic. Would it be possible
for it to be posted again? I have two staghorns and plan to get more.
Thanks!

Old 14-03-2007, 10:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Marutchi" wrote in message
littleditty wrote:
"Marutchi" wrote in message
Garrapata wrote:

Do you grow them from spores? do you get volunteers?

As I get the odd volunteer, I've never bothered to cultivate spores.

Hi.
I'm new to this group and didn't see the original pic. Would it be
possible for it to be posted again? I have two staghorns and plan to
get more. Thanks!

Oh my goodness... That's spectacular! Thank you!

[IMG] code is On

Backlit Fern Frond-3384 Maroochy Garden Photos 0 20-08-2008 02:21 PM
King fern Frond-8894 Marutchi[_3_] Garden Photos 2 26-03-2008 02:10 AM
Frond Paddy's Pig[_2_] Garden Photos 2 26-02-2008 01:46 PM
Basket Fern (Drynaria rigidula) frond Marutchi[_3_] Garden Photos 1 14-10-2007 11:30 AM
Palm Frond. Marutchi Garden Photos 0 22-04-2007 12:53 PM