Old 08-05-2007, 01:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default At what resolution do you set your Monitor?

On Tue, 01 May 2007 22:52:53 -0700, Bob Williams wrote:

Most monitors can be set at any of several screen resolutions (sizes),
anywhere from 800x600 pixels to 1400x1050 pixels or even greater.
Many photo editors can resize images to any desired size.
When sending pictures to this group, the optimum size is the largest
that can be viewed by the majority of viewers without scrolling.
In order to send pictures at the optimum size for good viewing it is
necessary to know how each of us sets his/her monitor resolution.
What size (resolution) do you have your monitor set for?
Bob Williams

I have mine set to 1280x1024. But it doesn't matter as I set my software to
fit the pic to the window it is in. And + key zooms in if I need to.
I think you should be more concerned with file size. I have a quick
connection, so bigger is ok for me. There may be a few with dialup that
would suffer all the posts were huge.
Is there anyone here with restrictions on file sizes they will download?

stonerfish
Old 08-05-2007, 04:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default File sizes (Was At what resolution do you set your Monitor?)

jellybean stonerfish wrote:
On Tue, 01 May 2007 22:52:53 -0700, Bob Williams wrote:

Most monitors can be set at any of several screen resolutions (sizes),
anywhere from 800x600 pixels to 1400x1050 pixels or even greater.

[...]

I have mine set to 1280x1024. But it doesn't matter as I set my software to
fit the pic to the window it is in. And + key zooms in if I need to.
I think you should be more concerned with file size. I have a quick
connection, so bigger is ok for me. There may be a few with dialup that
would suffer all the posts were huge.
Is there anyone here with restrictions on file sizes they will download?

stonerfish

On another NG the typical file size is about 500KB, with occasional
posts at 1MB and more. Nobody seems to complain. Image sizes are
typically 1024x768.

HTH

--

Wolf

"Don't believe everything you think." (Maxine)
Old 30-05-2007, 01:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob,

1920x1280

On Tue, 01 May 2007 22:52:53 -0700, Bob Williams wrote:

Most monitors can be set at any of several screen resolutions (sizes),
anywhere from 800x600 pixels to 1400x1050 pixels or even greater.
Many photo editors can resize images to any desired size.
When sending pictures to this group, the optimum size is the largest
that can be viewed by the majority of viewers without scrolling.
In order to send pictures at the optimum size for good viewing it is
necessary to know how each of us sets his/her monitor resolution.
What size (resolution) do you have your monitor set for?
Bob Williams

Gerry Danen
http://www.lilyregister.com
Old 30-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Registered User

Location: Atherton, UK

Hi,
As a web designer I'm always getting asked this thorny question about the best size to use when designing and developing web sites.
From the most recent industry data published (2 months ago) the most popular size for screen settings is 1024 X 768 @ 96dpi ... some 86% of those surveyed are using this setting and on a personal note, I've been using this as my bench mark for site design for a couple of years now.
Incidentally, the dpi setting is ONLY critical for print processes as much above this figure is lost in web viewing and therefore only adds to the file size without any increase in clarity.

Hope this helps.