Old 05-07-2007, 05:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default yEnc

What is yEnc? I have no clue what it is, but noticed that a lot of the
posts are posted in an odd format and I am unable to view the attachment?

Can someone assist?

-M

Old 05-07-2007, 06:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Jane Doe" wrote ...
What is yEnc? I have no clue what it is, but noticed that a lot of the
posts are posted in an odd format and I am unable to view the attachment?

Can someone assist?

It's a type of encoding used to reduce the size of a download, useful in the
days of dialup, it was never mainstream and with most people now on
broadband it's a bit irrelevant IMO. Unfortunately Outlook Express, which I
see you use, does not automatically decode it and to do so manually is
rather a pitb, especially on a newsgroup where you aren't certain the photo
is any good anyway. Save time on the download and spend ages decoding it,
bit silly really.
Even with a program that is supposed to enable OE to decode yEnc I still
can't see some attachments so goodness knows what encoding some are using.
The users of yEnc will tell you to ditch OE and get a "better" Newsreader,
but as the majority of PC users use OE I find it strange that they insist on
using a type of encoding that can't be decoded by the majority. Why post a
photo to the world when most of the world can't see it?
Perhaps a user will enlighten us on the reason why they use it.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-07-2007, 06:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 16:28:12 GMT, "Jane Doe"
wrote:

What is yEnc? I have no clue what it is, but noticed that a lot of the
posts are posted in an odd format and I am unable to view the attachment?

Can someone assist?

-M

Are you using outlook express as a newsreader. If so there is an add
on that you can use and all those pictures will show up.
Or check out these free newsreaders. Outlook express was never a good
newsgroup client.
http://www.usenetservices.com/newsreaders.html

Old 05-07-2007, 07:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Jane Doe wrote:
Why is OE not a good news reader? It downloads just fine? What makes it a
not good news reader?

Mariana

OE's major flaw is that it's one of the least secure news readers
available. But if you keep your machine up to date, you should have few
problems, if any. Just set your Windows Update to automatic. That should
take care of most potential problems. And get a 3rd party anti-virus and
firewall, Microsoft's offerings are not IMO worth having, even as "free"
programs.

The fact that OE can't decode yEnc posts is not a flaw.

[...]

--
Wolf
'Just because it's true doesn't mean it's the right answer.'

Old 05-07-2007, 08:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Jane Doe explained on 05/07/2007 :
Why is OE not a good news reader? It downloads just fine? What makes it a not
good news reader?

Mariana

Hi Mariana,well it can't decode yEnc ;-).
Some may say that's why it's not good,others don't care so,it's all
down to what you want from your newsreader.
There are lot's of free one's out there and they all have different
attributes.
If you ask that question over at alt.comp.freeware you will get a *lot*
of food for thought ;-)

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!

Old 06-07-2007, 03:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

It works well for me too except for this Yenc code stuff. I don't want to
download any extra software
just for it so out the window it goes!
Cheers Wendy
"Jane Doe" wrote in message
Why is OE not a good news reader? It downloads just fine? What makes it a
not good news reader?

Mariana

news

Old 06-07-2007, 08:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Okay thank you all for the great replies. Not being up with the technology
times (I guess) I couldn't understand what these strange emails were.

Again thank you. I need to go and try to tame the darn tomatoes, they all
fell in last night's thunderstorm!

-Mariana
NJ

"Jane Doe" wrote in message
Why is OE not a good news reader? It downloads just fine? What makes it
a not good news reader?

Mariana

"joevan" wrote in message
news On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 16:28:12 GMT, "Jane Doe"

Old 06-07-2007, 08:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"betsyb" expounded:

Me either and it's a shame we have to conform to another's standards? Not
happening.

No, it's being open-minded enough to work to anyone's standards.
Something Micro$oft just isn't into.....
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 06-07-2007, 10:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Color me old and feeble. I don't understand yenc nor do I care to learn.

--

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive

BetsyB

"betsyb" expounded:

Old 07-07-2007, 12:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Sj
"Sj" wrote in message

But the other thought on this yEnc thing is this:
If you post, I am going to assume you post to
share ... if you then yEnc & create problems for
those who don't/won't/can't see your stuff,
you're defeating the reason you're posting ...

When you say trouble what do you mean? Not indicating so in the subject line
so that people wont spend time unnecessarily?

Mariana

Old 07-07-2007, 02:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Sj" wrote
It's a problem for those who don't wish to be bothered
w/ yEnc, for whatever reason ... if the proper software
is used, the posting software automatically puts yEnc
in the header ... if not, the poster is using broken
software ... maybe people should let them know,
though some posters won't care ...

http://www.techsono.com/faq/yenc.html

Ah! So perhaps that's why I still can't see some yEnc posts despite buying
the necessary software to decode it automatically in OE.
Most annoying (or words to that effect!). :-)
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-07-2007, 02:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 14:29:50 -0400, "betsyb" wrote:

Me either and it's a shame we have to conform to another's standards? Not
happening.

So why is Microsoft's standard better than any other?

Microsoft's goal is to bring computing to the masses/ To do that' they make "idiot-proof"
programs that do things automatically. Hackers and virus writers love Microsoft.

I prefer third-party programs that are not as automatic to keep crap off my machine.

Gerry Danen
http://www.lilyregister.com
Old 07-07-2007, 02:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 14:57:56 -0500, Sj wrote:

I remember years ago, some people were still posting
in MIME, rather than uuencode ... I was using Free
Agent which didn't decode MIME ... too difficult to try
to get people to post in uuencode so finally went for
Agent, as too many pics were bypassing me, unseen ...

Been w/ Agent ever since & have never used OE ...

I use Agent exclusively at home, but had to use OE once when I was abroad. What a pain in
comparison...

Gerry Danen
http://www.lilyregister.com