Old 25-08-2007, 05:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default What is eating my tomato plants?

There is something eating the tomato plants? I can see doo doo all over
the
place. What to do? Help!
Cheers Wendy

Attached Thumbnails
What is eating my tomato plants?-tomatoes-dsc01229.jpg
Old 25-08-2007, 06:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 21:30:59 -0700, "Wendy7" wrote:

There is something eating the tomato plants? I can see doo doo all over
the
place. What to do? Help!
Cheers Wendy

I'd bet on a hornworm. They grow up to be pretty moths.
Old 25-08-2007, 05:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 21:30:59 -0700, "Wendy7" wrote:

There is something eating the tomato plants? I can see doo doo all over
the
place. What to do? Help!
Cheers Wendy

Looks like a Hornworm Wendy, the hide in the soil during the day, go
out at night with a flashlight and you can pick them off pretty
easily. Mind you they blend in REALLY good and in spite of their size
hide well.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/ext...s/hornworm.htm
Dave Fouchey

Florence, SC

N34° 11' 36.40"

W79° 47' 6.85"

WA4EMR
Old 25-08-2007, 07:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Dave Fouchey wrote:

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 21:30:59 -0700, "Wendy7" wrote:

There is something eating the tomato plants? I can see doo doo all over
the
place. What to do? Help!
Cheers Wendy

Looks like a Hornworm Wendy, the hide in the soil during the day, go
out at night with a flashlight and you can pick them off pretty
easily. Mind you they blend in REALLY good and in spite of their size
hide well.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/ext...s/hornworm.htm
Dave Fouchey

Florence, SC

N34° 11' 36.40"

W79° 47' 6.85"

WA4EMR

I agree with Dave. Wendy, it is likely that you only have a few (less
than three) Hornworms. If you had many more your plants would have been
completely stripped with within a few days.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 25-08-2007, 11:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Wendy7" wrote in message
There is something eating the tomato plants? I can see doo doo all over
the
place. What to do? Help!
Cheers Wendy

I guess the others are probably right with their analysis of Hornworm, but
if you live in England it could be Vine Weevil. These slow-moving beetles
come out at night and chomp big sections out of your leaves. And you can
find their larvae in the soil of your pot, big fat white curlicue grubs.
OTOH there is no visible doo doo. So it's more likely to be a caterpillar.

someone

Old 26-08-2007, 02:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"someone" wrote after
"Wendy7" wrote in message
There is something eating the tomato plants? I can see doo doo all over
the
place. What to do? Help!

I guess the others are probably right with their analysis of Hornworm, but
if you live in England it could be Vine Weevil. These slow-moving beetles
come out at night and chomp big sections out of your leaves. And you can
find their larvae in the soil of your pot, big fat white curlicue grubs.
OTOH there is no visible doo doo. So it's more likely to be a
caterpillar.

The semi circular holes are so indicative of Vine Weevil, but that's in
Europe.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-08-2007, 10:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"someone" wrote after
"Wendy7" wrote in message
There is something eating the tomato plants? I can see doo doo all
over
the
place. What to do? Help!

I guess the others are probably right with their analysis of Hornworm,
but if you live in England it could be Vine Weevil. These slow-moving
beetles come out at night and chomp big sections out of your leaves. And
you can find their larvae in the soil of your pot, big fat white curlicue
grubs. OTOH there is no visible doo doo. So it's more likely to be a
caterpillar.

The semi circular holes are so indicative of Vine Weevil, but that's in
Europe.

--

Bob, we ARE in Europe. I live in Wiltshire and I have vine weevils
especially in my Primulus plants, also in any pots that have been around for

These weevils come in through garden centres which import plants from
everywhere.

someone

Old 27-08-2007, 10:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"someone" wrote afte=======...

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"someone" wrote after
"Wendy7" wrote in message
[...]

But I don't think Wendy is in Europe.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-08-2007, 11:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"someone" wrote afte=======...

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"someone" wrote after
"Wendy7" wrote in message
[...]

OIC, my apologies, I understood you to say "That's in Europe" as if "Well,
it's not here in UK". You're right of course.

someone, grovelling.