Old 11-12-2007, 02:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Id bush, plz

I've been living next to this bush for 7 years and I don't know what it is.
Yes, that's a douglas squirrel on the railing, but the bush behind him with
the red berries is a mystery. It survives the summer droughts, and the
winter floods (when we get the pinapple express rain), and it's spreading,
via the red berries. Nothing eats the berries, not even the deer mice, but
in the summer it's covered with bees, wasps and yellow jackets or hornets (I
can't tell them apart going for the nectar. I've even seen rufous
hummingbirds try for the nectar from the little flowers, yet I can't smell a
thing (and I don't smoke).
This is a recent photo, the leaves fall off in the winter, most of them.

Attached Thumbnails
Id bush, plz-douglassquirrel-004.jpg
Old 11-12-2007, 02:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Phil Rhodes" wrote in message
I've been living next to this bush for 7 years and I don't know what it
is.
Yes, that's a douglas squirrel on the railing, but the bush behind him
with
the red berries is a mystery. It survives the summer droughts, and the
winter floods (when we get the pinapple express rain), and it's spreading,
via the red berries. Nothing eats the berries, not even the deer mice, but
in the summer it's covered with bees, wasps and yellow jackets or hornets
(I
can't tell them apart going for the nectar. I've even seen rufous
hummingbirds try for the nectar from the little flowers, yet I can't smell
thing (and I don't smoke).
This is a recent photo, the leaves fall off in the winter, most of them.

Here's a summer photo of the same bush.

Attached Thumbnails
Id bush, plz-june3-001.jpg
Old 11-12-2007, 04:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Geez, I didn't know those files were that big...

"Phil Rhodes" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Smaller files

Attached Thumbnails
Id bush, plz-copy-june3-001.jpg
Old 11-12-2007, 04:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

[...]

Id bush, plz-copy-june3-002.jpg
Old 11-12-2007, 09:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Phil Rhodes" wrote in message
I've been living next to this bush for 7 years and I don't know what it
is. Yes, that's a douglas squirrel on the railing, but the bush behind him
with the red berries is a mystery. It survives the summer droughts, and
the winter floods (when we get the pinapple express rain), and it's
spreading, via the red berries. Nothing eats the berries, not even the
deer mice, but in the summer it's covered with bees, wasps and yellow
jackets or hornets (I can't tell them apart going for the nectar. I've
even seen rufous hummingbirds try for the nectar from the little flowers,
yet I can't smell a thing (and I don't smoke).
This is a recent photo, the leaves fall off in the winter, most of them.

Looks - and sounds - like a cotoneaster. It has tiny white flowers which
have nectaries very close to the surface and therefore accessible to insects
which don't have tongues. Bees don't usually bother with it because they can
access plenty of other flowers - but I don't know what else is available in
your area.

There are many types of cotoneaster, I don't know about anything but the
common variety and the prostrate one.

Mary

Old 11-12-2007, 06:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Thank you, Mary, that looks like the plant, alright. So it's non native, and
we need to keep an eye on it, for it is spreading, as the berries aren't
consumed by any birds, etc.

t...

Old 11-12-2007, 06:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Phil Rhodes" wrote in message
. ..
Thank you, Mary, that looks like the plant, alright. So it's non native,
and we need to keep an eye on it, for it is spreading, as the berries
aren't consumed by any birds, etc.

It spreads very well.

In hard winters here blackbirds eat the berries, some other birds might too
but I've only seen those.

Mary