Old 24-04-2008, 08:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Willow Tree Losing Its Lower Bark

I had one Willow die from this malady already. I have a second which
has now come down with the same problem. Namely, the bark at the bottom
of the trunk just comes off in hugh chunks about 1 or 2 feet long.

These trees are about 6-7 years old.

I'd hate to lose the second one, which is now about 25 feet in height.

Anyone have any idea as to what causes this?
Old 24-04-2008, 08:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote in message
I had one Willow die from this malady already. I have a second which
has now come down with the same problem. Namely, the bark at the bottom
of the trunk just comes off in hugh chunks about 1 or 2 feet long.

These trees are about 6-7 years old.

I'd hate to lose the second one, which is now about 25 feet in height.

Anyone have any idea as to what causes this?

It's usually deer, in UK at least.

Mary

Old 24-04-2008, 09:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:50:56 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
I had one Willow die from this malady already. I have a second which
has now come down with the same problem. Namely, the bark at the bottom
of the trunk just comes off in hugh chunks about 1 or 2 feet long.

These trees are about 6-7 years old.

I'd hate to lose the second one, which is now about 25 feet in height.

Anyone have any idea as to what causes this?

It's usually deer, in UK at least.

Mary

Funny, it is usually deer in most areas I know also. Not only trees
but all sorts of flowers and bushes. Once upon a time there was little
food for deer, then the settlers came and planed corn and made it
available to the deer and sure enough they thrived and multiplied, and
then other men with their wisdom, made it against the law to kill the
deer.Then there were those who said, after seeing Bambi, Oh aren't
those little darlings so cute. So there it is in a nutshell. Now you
just have to live with the cute little monsters.
Old 25-04-2008, 05:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:26:02 GMT, joevan
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:50:56 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

There are no deer on my property because my little acre is fenced.

Old 25-04-2008, 06:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I'm inclined to believe you, but never forget that although very few can
manage 7 feet, there's many a good-sized whitetail can jump a 6-foot fence.
:-)

Old 25-04-2008, 09:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"joevan" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:50:56 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

They're delicious!

And regarded as vermin by many people, like hare. Their numbers must be
controlled.

Pity they don't control the numbers of people too, many of whom could be
regarded as vermin. But who would decide, sort the wheat from the chaff ...

Mary

Old 25-04-2008, 10:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 05:10:13 GMT, "Michael"

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

At the Barns in Merion where I once worked, I heard they had deer
problems and the fence was 8 feet tall.
Old 25-04-2008, 10:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:35:33 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I won't touch that one, Mary.
Old 25-04-2008, 11:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"joevan" wrote in message

snip

I won't touch that one, Mary.

I WAS playing Devil's Advocate :-)

Mary

Old 25-04-2008, 12:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:59:54 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"joevan" wrote in message
.. .

snip

I won't touch that one, Mary.

I WAS playing Devil's Advocate :-)

Mary

Sort of like tongue in cheek?

Old 25-04-2008, 11:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

We had a similar problem it was a neighbours cats shredding the outer layer
allowing infections to penetrate.Either way the answer is a loose collar of
chicken wire
( around the tree base ) both species will soon get the hint.
Derek

Old 26-04-2008, 09:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"joevan" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:59:54 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"joevan" wrote in message
. ..

snip

I won't touch that one, Mary.

I WAS playing Devil's Advocate :-)

Mary

Sort of like tongue in cheek?

Well, not quite. And I do love venison! And deer and hare do a LOT of damage
to crops in this country.

Mary