Old 31-05-2008, 02:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Peony Portrait - 20083008.jpg

Our house was built in 1960, and this may be a peony from that era. I
transplanted it a few years ago (after digging down about 18"), and it
has been very happy in its new home.

Today was a perfect day for flower pictures. Not a blazing brilliant
sun, but a medium overcast where you can just barely make out a fuzzy
shadow. I find that this kind of soft diffused light makes for the
most pleasant flower shots.

JD
Canon 1D-mkIII
EXIF Data Included
e-mail: blissful-wind(at)usa.net

Additional images at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-pa/

Attached Thumbnails
Peony Portrait - 20083008.jpg-20083008.jpg
Old 31-05-2008, 03:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

John - Pa. wrote in message
Our house was built in 1960, and this may be a peony from that era. I
transplanted it a few years ago (after digging down about 18"), and it
has been very happy in its new home.

Today was a perfect day for flower pictures. Not a blazing brilliant
sun, but a medium overcast where you can just barely make out a fuzzy
shadow. I find that this kind of soft diffused light makes for the
most pleasant flower shots.

I think that's the best lighting for most things.

This is a lovely shot, thanks,

Mary

Old 31-05-2008, 08:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article , John - Pa.
wrote:

Our house was built in 1960, and this may be a peony from that era. I
transplanted it a few years ago (after digging down about 18"), and it
has been very happy in its new home.

Today was a perfect day for flower pictures. Not a blazing brilliant
sun, but a medium overcast where you can just barely make out a fuzzy
shadow. I find that this kind of soft diffused light makes for the
most pleasant flower shots.

JD
Canon 1D-mkIII
EXIF Data Included
e-mail: blissful-wind(at)usa.net

Additional images at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-pa/

begin 644 20083008.jpg
[Image]

end

Oh, soooo lovely. That's a keeper. Thanks for posting.

Victoria
Old 11-06-2008, 03:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Victoria Bolles" wrote in message
In article , John - Pa.
wrote:

Our house was built in 1960, and this may be a peony from that era. I
transplanted it a few years ago (after digging down about 18"), and it
has been very happy in its new home.

Today was a perfect day for flower pictures. Not a blazing brilliant
sun, but a medium overcast where you can just barely make out a fuzzy
shadow. I find that this kind of soft diffused light makes for the
most pleasant flower shots.

JD
Canon 1D-mkIII
EXIF Data Included
e-mail: blissful-wind(at)usa.net

Additional images at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-pa/

begin 644 20083008.jpg
[Image]

end

Oh, soooo lovely. That's a keeper. Thanks for posting.

Victoria

What lens did you use on this beautiful peony? This photo may be a very
good argument for me to get a 1D mark 111. lmao !!!
I just happened onto this newsgroup tonight and happy I did. We live in
northern MI and our flowers are just beginning to bloom.
I use a Canon Digital Rebel XT. Our peonies are the pink varity and of three
plants only one blooms and we do not know why.
Our flowers really took a hit this winter from so much snow and wind but
we're working hard to get the garden back in order even with a cold spring.
Bill

Old 14-06-2008, 04:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

I'm sorry it took me so long to respond here. I don't get out to this
news-group every day.

In this shot I was using the Canon 24-105 f4 L IS, which is my normal
walk-around lens these days. I expect that most folks will tell you
that the glass is more important than the recording device, so if you
can, spend money on the good "L" lenses before the camera. These are
horribly expensive, but they do make a difference. The Canon community
is also still holding its breath for a replacement for the full-frame
5D, which folks are hoping may be out this fall. The current 5D, with
heavy discounts, is a good bet too.

JD

Old 14-06-2008, 07:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

John - Pa. wrote in message
I'm sorry it took me so long to respond here. I don't get out to this
news-group every day.

I thought everyone had died ... very glad they haven't!

Mary