Old 22-07-2008, 09:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Flying wasp

"Zootal" wrote in message

I find myself more interested in the results then the reasons why. The
value of the life of a human far exceeds the value of a couple hundred
yellowjackets,

Er - what IS the value of a human life and why is it greater than even
one yellowjacket?

Is that a rhetorical question?

No, you brought up relative values :-)

Are you asking why I feel that way?

I wondered why you think you're more valuable than a wasp. Or any creature.
Do you think a mass murderer is of more value than a wasp which has never
done any harm? You see, Mankind isn't perfect. Because a wasp might sting
you you kill complete colonies. I don't think you kill all people because
one might shoot you.

Is it because you do not know the answer to the question?

I don't know the answer to the question but if you told me your opinion it
would be just that, it wouldn't convince me. It's one of the great
imponderables of life.

Or you want to compare how you would answer it to how I would answer it?
To answer a question like that, it helps to know why it is being asked,
and the background of the person asking. Makes it easier to give an
in-context answer that the asker will understand.

As I said, I asked because you raised the matter.

so I will continue to kill them with extreme prejudice. If "killer" bees
are just being extremely defensive, then good for them. I'll still kill
them with extreme prejudice.

And you think that by doing that there will be none left in the
environment?

Hmmmmm ........

OK, now you are just yanking my chain and having fun with me :-)

Not at all. I was genuinely wondering if you thought that you would solve
the 'problem of a potential sting by destroying beautiful, intelligent,
useful creatures.

Mary

Old 25-07-2008, 02:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:02:25 -0700, "Zootal"
wrote:

I find myself more interested in the results then the reasons why. The
value of the life of a human far exceeds the value of a couple hundred
yellowjackets,

Er - what IS the value of a human life and why is it greater than even one
yellowjacket?

Is that a rhetorical question? Are you asking why I feel that way? Is it
because you do not know the answer to the question? Or you want to compare
how you would answer it to how I would answer it? To answer a question like
that, it helps to know why it is being asked, and the background of the
person asking. Makes it easier to give an in-context answer that the asker
will understand.

so I will continue to kill them with extreme prejudice. If "killer" bees
are just being extremely defensive, then good for them. I'll still kill
them with extreme prejudice.

And you think that by doing that there will be none left in the
environment?

Hmmmmm ........

OK, now you are just yanking my chain and having fun with me :-)

Mary will, of course, speak for herself, but what puzzlss me is the
odd priorities. A brief look suggests that there are 90-100 deaths a
year in the U.S. from reactions to bee or wasp stings. I wonder how
many of these are the result of someone deliberately attacking an
otherwise pacific nest or hive? Personally, I appreciate the
pollination and the supression of various pests by the bees and wasps;
all free and without introducing toxic materials into my food. Yes, I
have attacked wasp nests that were in places where people (me
primarily) were likely to disturb them accitdentaly, but it is hard to
see the point to indiscriminate killing.

There are in excess of 40000 deaths each year from motor vehicle
related incidents. Seems like a better place to put our protective
energies.

Old 25-07-2008, 02:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Well, you know, that's always my argument when I hear people (especially
politicians) say that if such and such saves the life of even one child it
will be worth it.

They could save ten lives and lots more injuries a week by banning motor
transport.

Yes, I know it's not realistic but the penalties for killing by reckless
driving are laughable.

I think in UK deaths from stings of all kinds are fewer than ten p/a, most
bee stings are experienced by beekeepers because they're the ones who are
disturbing the colony, yet there is still an irrational attitude among some
people.

And I believe that you're more likely to be killed by another human than by
any animal ...

Odd priorities indeed.

Mary