Old 14-08-2008, 02:55 AM
Registered User

Default Any idea what these seedlings are?

Hi

I went to a seed collection day at Hestercombe Gardens, Somerset, last year and collected various seeds. I sowed them this year and many, many, many seedlings emerged but I have no idea what they are... in some cases 50 to 100 seedlings. I would really love to know what they are so I can work out what to do with them, where to plant etc... I am assuming that they are perennial as they have been very slow growing (seeds were planted in April and haven't grown as much as other annual seeds sown at same time), but am not 100% sure about this. Any suggestions gratefully received

Apologies about the photo quality - the batteries are almost out on my camera and it was a case of taking photos as quickly as possible before the camera turned itself off, hence wobbly pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Any idea what these seedlings are?-dscf0145.jpg   Any idea what these seedlings are?-dscf0146.jpg   Any idea what these seedlings are?-dscf0148.jpg
Old 14-08-2008, 11:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"littleapplemum" wrote in
message ...

Hi

I went to a seed collection day at Hestercombe Gardens, Somerset, last
year and collected various seeds. I sowed them this year and many,
many, many seedlings emerged but I have no idea what they are... in
some cases 50 to 100 seedlings. I would really love to know what they
are so I can work out what to do with them, where to plant etc...

Moral: always label EVERYTHING.

The strongest memory is weaker than the palest ink ... :-)

Mary

Old 14-08-2008, 01:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Mary Fisher wrote:
"littleapplemum" wrote in
message ...
Hi

I went to a seed collection day at Hestercombe Gardens, Somerset, last
year and collected various seeds. I sowed them this year and many,
many, many seedlings emerged but I have no idea what they are... in
some cases 50 to 100 seedlings. I would really love to know what they
are so I can work out what to do with them, where to plant etc...

Moral: always label EVERYTHING.

The strongest memory is weaker than the palest ink ... :-)

Mary

Anyhow, seedlings are much harder to identify than (semi-)mature plants.
I'm afraid OP will have to wait a bit, and post pics of when the
seedlings are further along. FWIW, the one with serrated leaves looks
vaguely like a mint.

HTH

--
wolf k.
Old 14-08-2008, 05:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"littleapplemum" wrote via Gardenbanter

I went to a seed collection day at Hestercombe Gardens, Somerset, last
year and collected various seeds. I sowed them this year and many,
many, many seedlings emerged but I have no idea what they are... in
some cases 50 to 100 seedlings. I would really love to know what they
are so I can work out what to do with them, where to plant etc... I am
assuming that they are perennial as they have been very slow growing
(seeds were planted in April and haven't grown as much as other annual
seeds sown at same time), but am not 100% sure about this. Any
suggestions gratefully received

Apologies about the photo quality - the batteries are almost out on my
camera and it was a case of taking photos as quickly as possible before
the camera turned itself off, hence wobbly pics!

The first one looks like it has a square stem, if so, probably a Salvia.
Not sure on the others although I looked at the second and thought Bergenia
(?)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-08-2008, 02:00 AM
Registered User

Thanks Bob. I think you might be right. I've found a planting list for the main formal garden at hestercombe and bergenia does appear there, so it is a strong possibility. I think another is Agastache and the last is a Clematis but I was thrown by the fact that it isn't growing like a climbing plant.