Old 14-09-2008, 08:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Sep14-C - 20085411.jpg

Helianthus maximiliani

The perennial Maximilian Sunflower. These guys are tall. This photo
was taken at eye level and there were plenty of stems and flowers
towering over me. I've seen these growing wild on the side of the
road, and when I figured out what they were, I had to get some. This
stand is probably 4-years from seed. They have only just started to
open and will probably peak in another week or two when each stem
might hold 6-10 flowers at once.

JD

Attached Thumbnails
Sep14-C  - 20085411.jpg-20085411.jpg

Old 14-09-2008, 10:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Sep14-C - 20085411.jpg - 20084186.jpg

I can tell you that for "perennial sunflowers", the combination of
these Helianthus maximiliani and Heliopsis is great. The Heliopsis are
shorter at about 4ft and bloom viciously for me from late June to
mid-August with a few flowers even beyond that. They are not really
"sunflowers" but I think they are sometimes called oxeye.

As stated, these Helianthus run about 6-8ft, start in early Sept and
go until frost. Both perennials are very easy to grow from seed and I
attach a photo of the shorter Heliopsis from July 3 of this year.

JD

Want some!

Mary

Attached Thumbnails
Sep14-C  - 20085411.jpg-20084186.jpg
Old 15-09-2008, 10:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

John - Pa. wrote in message
I can tell you that for "perennial sunflowers", the combination of
these Helianthus maximiliani and Heliopsis is great. The Heliopsis are
shorter at about 4ft and bloom viciously for me from late June to
mid-August with a few flowers even beyond that. They are not really
"sunflowers" but I think they are sometimes called oxeye.

As stated, these Helianthus run about 6-8ft, start in early Sept and
go until frost. Both perennials are very easy to grow from seed and I
attach a photo of the shorter Heliopsis from July 3 of this year.

JD

Thank you! For all of that :-)

Mary

Want some!