Old 10-10-2009, 09:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Orchid "Waterfall"

BarbaraH wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:

I can't believe you have problems with Phals, they seem to be one of
the easiest orchids to grow for me. They grow on a couple of S. facing
windowsills with a bit of shade from a tree and most are constantly in
flower.
As soon as I get one I repot it into a larger clear plastic pot in
50/50 bark chips and live sphagnum moss. If the temp is over 70°F
don't let the compost dry out. Always water first thing in the
morning with rainwater to allow any that gets into the crown to dry
out by sunset, I dry the leaves off with a bit of kitchen paper towel
which cleans them at the same time. If the crown stays wet it will
rot. Don't let the pot sit in water though, let it drain away. Use a
feed every other watering and flush the pot through with clean water
between feeds to avoid a build up of salts. If you can keep the moss
growing so will the orchids IME.

If the temp drops then watering is more fraught with danger, I let
mine dry out between watering but have to be careful the roots don't
stop growing and loose that green tip. It's difficult to get them to
start up again.

Well believe it. :-)
I think my problem was that I over watered.
I grow al my orchids outdoors.

No chance I could grow them outside here. :-(

The roots on Phals are the key to success IME. Keep them growing strongly
and the plant will be OK. Overwatering is often the reason for failure, they
need to be able to drain and dry quickly.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-10-2009, 03:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 00:38:06 -0700, Bob Williams
wrote:

Interesting! Thanks for the tip.
I have a friend, living in Prunedale, who plans to visit me in January.
I'll ask her to check the Orchid growers for some bargains, and bring me
a few.
Bob

Rod McClellan is the big one nearest Prunedale but they are only open to
the public one day a year. They do sell at the Monterey Peninsula
College Farmers Market on Thursdays and maybe some of the others (there
are five in the area) There is another big grower near Salinas but I
can't remember the name.
--

09=ix