Old 22-10-2009, 08:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Need ID.on this plant

This plant is in my neighbor's garden.
I really like it and want to buy one.
He hasn't a clue what it's called and neither do I.
I suspect it is some type of Agave plant but I need a name so I can tell
the nurseryman exactly what I want.
I live in San Diego, CA.
TIA..........Bob Williams

Attached Thumbnails
Need ID.on this plant-agave-needles-2m.jpg
Old 22-10-2009, 11:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Williams" wrote ...
This plant is in my neighbor's garden.
I really like it and want to buy one.
He hasn't a clue what it's called and neither do I.
I suspect it is some type of Agave plant but I need a name so I can tell
the nurseryman exactly what I want.
I live in San Diego, CA.

Looks like a young Australian Grass Tree to me.
http://www.grasstree.com/
shows some older ones but there have been a few photos posted on here too.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-10-2009, 11:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Could be a
Dasylirion longissimum
Mexican Grass Tree
They are very slow growing!
Cheers Wendy

Old 23-10-2009, 07:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Yes Indeed! It certainly could be.
I'm sure that's what it is.
Attached is a picture Google presented when I queried Dasylirion
Longissimum.
It looks exactly like my neighbor's plant albeit a bit younger.
I'm glad they grow slowly. Less work for me and SWMBO. ;-)
Bob

Old 23-10-2009, 08:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Williams wrote:
Yes Indeed! It certainly could be.
I'm sure that's what it is.
Attached is a picture Google presented when I queried Dasylirion
Longissimum.
It looks exactly like my neighbor's plant albeit a bit younger.
I'm glad they grow slowly. Less work for me and SWMBO. ;-)
Bob

OOPS!
Forgot to attach the Google Pic.
Here 'tis.
Bob

Attached Thumbnails
Need ID.on this plant-dasylirion-longissimum1.jpg

Old 23-10-2009, 08:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Bob Williams" wrote ...
This plant is in my neighbor's garden.
I really like it and want to buy one.
He hasn't a clue what it's called and neither do I.
I suspect it is some type of Agave plant but I need a name so I can tell
the nurseryman exactly what I want.
I live in San Diego, CA.

Looks like a young Australian Grass Tree to me.
http://www.grasstree.com/
shows some older ones but there have been a few photos posted on here too.

That was some really fascinating info on Australian Grass Trees.
They are incredibly long lived (600 years).....
and slow growing (1 meter/100 years)....WOW.
They look a lot like the Mexican Grass Tree suggested by Wendy, but the
article says the Australian Grass Tree, grows ONLY in Australia.
Old 23-10-2009, 04:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Well here is my pic & I think it must be a different variety as I have had
it for years,
was in a 2" pot now a 5? Of course it could be mislabeled.
I almost lost it to too much water, it had die back which I trimmed.
Bob Williams wrote:
Yes Indeed! It certainly could be.
I'm sure that's what it is.
Attached is a picture Google presented when I queried Dasylirion
Longissimum.
It looks exactly like my neighbor's plant albeit a bit younger.
I'm glad they grow slowly. Less work for me and SWMBO. ;-)
Bob

OOPS!
Forgot to attach the Google Pic.
Here 'tis.
Bob

Attached Thumbnails
Need ID.on this plant-62-dasylirion-longissimum-dsc02866.jpg