Old 24-11-2009, 10:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Need ID on this Pic

I shot this Pic at the Arboretum in Balboa Park (San Diego).
I forgot to write down the name of the plant.
One of you ALWAYS comes up with the right answer.......Whatzit?
Bob Williams

Attached Thumbnails
Need ID on this Pic-yellow-tipped-bulb.jpg
Old 25-11-2009, 12:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 02:32:06 -0800, Bob Williams
wrote:

I shot this Pic at the Arboretum in Balboa Park (San Diego).
I forgot to write down the name of the plant.
One of you ALWAYS comes up with the right answer.......Whatzit?
Bob Williams

Hi Bob, Sorry I can't identify you plant although it looks familiar.
Have you tried calling Balboa Park, Maybe they could help. I enjoy
your posts and hope you continue for a long time.
Old 25-11-2009, 09:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

I shot this Pic at the Arboretum in Balboa Park (San Diego).
I forgot to write down the name of the plant.
One of you ALWAYS comes up with the right answer.......Whatzit?
Bob Williams

Hi Bob, Sorry I can't identify you plant although it looks familiar.
Have you tried calling Balboa Park, Maybe they could help. I enjoy
your posts and hope you continue for a long time.

Thanks Joevan.
I love to photograph flowers, especially in close-up.
I live in San Diego and go to Balboa Park frequently.
If some of the botanical gurus in this NG can't identify it(unlikely),
I'll just revisit the Arboretum for another Photo Op and check out the
name............Bob
Old 25-11-2009, 03:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Williams" wrote ...
I shot this Pic at the Arboretum in Balboa Park (San Diego).
I forgot to write down the name of the plant.
One of you ALWAYS comes up with the right answer.......Whatzit?

I've seen that, possibly at Kew, nearest I could find was Scadoxus puniceus
alba but I'm not convinced about the leaves.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-11-2009, 04:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Hobden" wrote ...

"Bob Williams" wrote ...
I shot this Pic at the Arboretum in Balboa Park (San Diego).
I forgot to write down the name of the plant.
One of you ALWAYS comes up with the right answer.......Whatzit?

I've seen that, possibly at Kew, nearest I could find was Scadoxus
puniceus alba but I'm not convinced about the leaves.

Just knew it was a South African Bulb.

Finally found it... Haemanthus albiflos

http://www.smgrowers.com/products/pl...?plant_id=2251

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-11-2009, 04:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Williams" wrote
I shot this Pic at the Arboretum in Balboa Park (San Diego).
I forgot to write down the name of the plant.
One of you ALWAYS comes up with the right answer.......Whatzit?

Just knew it was a South African Bulb.

Finally found it... Haemanthus albiflos

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London. UK

2nd time of posting this, didn't show first time round

Old 25-11-2009, 09:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote ...
"Bob Williams" wrote ...
I shot this Pic at the Arboretum in Balboa Park (San Diego).
I forgot to write down the name of the plant.
One of you ALWAYS comes up with the right answer.......Whatzit?

I've seen that, possibly at Kew, nearest I could find was Scadoxus
puniceus alba but I'm not convinced about the leaves.

Just knew it was a South African Bulb.

Finally found it... Haemanthus albiflos

http://www.smgrowers.com/products/pl...?plant_id=2251

Bingo! That's it, for sure.
I don't know how you do it, but you can always ID even the most exotic
and esoteric plants.
I wouldn't even know where to start looking.
San Marcos Nursery is just about 40 miles North of here.
I'll bet the Arboretum got their specimen from the Nursery.

Thanks a bunch..................Bob