Old 14-11-2010, 08:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default California Poppy in Tasmanian Botanical Gardens

After traveling over 7,000 miles from San Diego to Tasmania, I
discovered that the California Poppy is very popular in that area.
In fact, much of the Tasmanian flora is similar or identical to that in
Southern California. I guess the climate must be similar.
Here is a keeper taken in the Botanical gardens.
Bob Williams

Attached Thumbnails
California Poppy in Tasmanian Botanical Gardens-ca-poppy-tasmania-mail.jpg
Old 14-11-2010, 09:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"bobwilliams" wrote .

After traveling over 7,000 miles from San Diego to Tasmania, I
discovered that the California Poppy is very popular in that area.
In fact, much of the Tasmanian flora is similar or identical to that in
Southern California. I guess the climate must be similar.
Here is a keeper taken in the Botanical gardens.
Bob Williams

You sure that's a Californian Poppy (Eschscholzia californica), doesn't
look right to me, not in flower or leaf.
Looks more like a Papaver species/variety possibly an Icelandic Poppy or
Welsh Poppy.
The latter I let seed itself around my garden, it grows where it likes and
is easily weeded if it should come up somewhere you don't want but it seldom
seems to preferring places other plants don't want to grow like right
against walls etc.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-11-2010, 11:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article bobwilliams
wrote:

After traveling over 7,000 miles from San Diego to Tasmania, I
discovered that the California Poppy is very popular in that area.
In fact, much of the Tasmanian flora is similar or identical to that in
Southern California. I guess the climate must be similar.
Here is a keeper taken in the Botanical gardens.
Bob Williams

This isn't California Poppy
Amost all of the parts - petals, fruits, anthers and leaves are
different
The botanical illustration here shows the differences especially the
leaves and fruits
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_poppy

It looks more like Papaver nudicaule - Iceland Poppy

Old 15-11-2010, 01:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Garrapata wrote:
In article bobwilliams
wrote:

After traveling over 7,000 miles from San Diego to Tasmania, I
discovered that the California Poppy is very popular in that area.
In fact, much of the Tasmanian flora is similar or identical to that in
Southern California. I guess the climate must be similar.
Here is a keeper taken in the Botanical gardens.
Bob Williams

This isn't California Poppy
Amost all of the parts - petals, fruits, anthers and leaves are
different
The botanical illustration here shows the differences especially the
leaves and fruits
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_poppy

It looks more like Papaver nudicaule - Iceland Poppy

You and Bob Hobden are the ID experts.
I just take the pics and try my best to get it right.
This sign in the garden led me to believe it was a California Poppy, but
maybe that is a local common name for the flower....A papaver.
See Below:....
Bob Williams

Old 15-11-2010, 06:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"bobwilliams" wrote ...

Garrapata wrote:
In article bobwilliams
wrote:

[...]

Interesting! The first photo is not like any Californian Poppy I've ever
seen or grown, the leaves are usually a distinct grey/green colour and very
finely divided. The leaves in the original photo look much more like an
Icelandic Poppy although in the nameplate photo they are more like the
species it says.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-11-2010, 08:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Hobden wrote:

"bobwilliams" wrote ...

Garrapata wrote:
In article bobwilliams
wrote:

[...]

There was a whole bunch of poppies in the little plot where the
nameplate was placed. It is very possible that only those flowers
immediately adjacent to the nameplate were in fact California Poppies
and others in the plot were similar varieties but not the California
variety.
Bob
Old 16-11-2010, 07:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article bobwilliams
wrote:

I just take the pics and try my best to get it right.
This sign in the garden led me to believe it was a California Poppy, but
maybe that is a local common name for the flower....A papaver.
See Below:....

This one is a hybrid Eschscholzia californica, the finely divided leaves
are the easiest way to tell them apart, the long, narrow seed pods are
another. The pinkish disk(torus) at the base of the pod makes it E.
californica rather than another species
--

09=IX
Old 29-11-2010, 05:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 00:32:23 -0800, bobwilliams wrote:

After traveling over 7,000 miles from San Diego to Tasmania, I
discovered that the California Poppy is very popular in that area. In
fact, much of the Tasmanian flora is similar or identical to that in
Southern California. I guess the climate must be similar. Here is a
keeper taken in the Botanical gardens. Bob Williams

Those don't look like the California Poppies I'm used to seeing.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington