Old 07-07-2011, 11:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Highclere Castle gardens

Attached Thumbnails
Highclere Castle gardens-dscn1713.jpg
Old 07-07-2011, 11:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Hobden wrote:

Beautiful!
Thanks for these, I'm rather addicted to the show. :-)

Old 08-07-2011, 12:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On 07/07/2011 6:07 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:

Looks like you had a very pleasant outing!

I've seen the house in some movie(s)/TV series, but can't recall which.
Anybody know?

Wolf K.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On 07/07/2011 7:09 PM, Maroochy wrote:
Wolf K wrote:
On 07/07/2011 6:07 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:

Looks like you had a very pleasant outing!

I've seen the house in some movie(s)/TV series, but can't recall
which. Anybody know?

Downton Abbey

Thanks, that explains it, I saw only part of one episode, so it didn't
stick.

Wolf K.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Maroochy" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

Beautiful!
Thanks for these, I'm rather addicted to the show. :-)

I've not seen it myself, but we arrange about 10 trips for our pension group
each year and thought this would be a good one to do seeing as the TV series
seems to be a big hit. What struck us most was how nice the people there
were, everyone we met was charming and helpful, from those guarding the
rooms to those serving in the cafe . Quite refreshing.
The Egyptian Museum is superb IMO, very imaginatively laid out, and we have
been to Egypt a few times so can compare with there. For those that may have
forgotten Lord Carnarvon whose owned the house was the man that bankrolled
the finding of Tutankhamun's tomb.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tutankhamun
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 08-07-2011, 12:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Hobden wrote:
I've not seen it myself, but we arrange about 10 trips for our
pension group each year and thought this would be a good one to do
seeing as the TV series seems to be a big hit. What struck us most
was how nice the people there were, everyone we met was charming and
helpful, from those guarding the rooms to those serving in the cafe .
Quite refreshing. The Egyptian Museum is superb IMO, very imaginatively
laid out, and
we have been to Egypt a few times so can compare with there. For
those that may have forgotten Lord Carnarvon whose owned the house
was the man that bankrolled the finding of Tutankhamun's tomb.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tutankhamun

One of our "lifestyle" TV shows did a doco on Highclere Castle and Lady
Carnarvon gave the crew a tour of the castle (including the Egyptian Museum)
and gardens, very gracious she was too. Your photos did more justice to the
gardens than the TV crew.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Maroochy" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

In my limited experience the true aristocracy are usually gracious and
charming it's the "new money" that can be the opposite.
Actually I was not that pleased with my photos, not to my normal standard
IMO, a bit out of focus i thought, but then I did have 41 pensioners and the
weather to worry about so that's my excuse. :-)

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 08-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Registered User

Bob,

Thanks for posting these images of Highclere Castle. I'm slightly ashamed to say that I've lived within about 30 miles of here for about 5 years now and haven't made the time to pay a visit.

You've reminded me that I need to give this a higher priority though!
Old 08-07-2011, 05:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"keithb" wrote

Bob,

Thanks for posting these images of Highclere Castle. I'm slightly
ashamed to say that I've lived within about 30 miles of here for about 5
years now and haven't made the time to pay a visit.

You've reminded me that I need to give this a higher priority though!

I can recommend it, they even have picnic tables dotted about if you don't
want to use the cafe.
Might need to use a decent SatNav as it's not that easy to find.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 08-07-2011, 06:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 19:01:52 -0400, Wolf K
wrote:

On 07/07/2011 6:07 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:

Looks like you had a very pleasant outing!

I've seen the house in some movie(s)/TV series, but can't recall which.
Anybody know?

Wolf K.

TV series "Downtown Abbey". It was stated in the text of the first
picture posted. I haven't seen it either. Maybe I can find it on Hulu.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 23:07:16 +0100, "Bob Hobden"

A wonderful photo tour of a real nice place. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

On 07/07/2011 6:07 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:

Looks like you had a very pleasant outing!

I've seen the house in some movie(s)/TV series, but can't recall which.
Anybody know?

Wolf K.

TV series "Downtown Abbey". It was stated in the text of the first
picture posted. I haven't seen it either. Maybe I can find it on Hulu.

Sorry typo it is Downton Abbey.
Old 15-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Paxton's Avatar
Registered User

This garden looking so great and its picture looks so cool.,
Its very big in the photo and in front of the home,.