Old 29-07-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Compatibility of sprinkler system controllers

Sorry for cross-posting to so many groups. I did a search for
'sprinkler system controller installation' and came up with these
groups.

I had an Irritrol 6-station controller pre-installed when I purchased
my house. During a recent thunderstorm, a big power surge fried the
internal circuitry, so I'm now hunting around for a new controller. I
would like to know if I can buy a different brand. Will the wiring be
the same/compatible among all brands? Also, how easy/difficult is it to
install it by myself?

Thanks in advance,
Swaroop

Old 29-07-2005, 06:58 PM
MrC1

Absolutely. The industry is standardized with common voltages and
connections, so it's no problem to change.

The wiring is quite simple as well. You will be pulling and reattaching
leads from each valve plus ground and power wires. Some controllers already
hae the power leads hooked up internally, so that's even one more step you
can skip.

Just make sure to take a note on which wires go to which zones, so you can
put them back in the correct order. On that note, now's the time to change
the order of your zones if you feel like it.

I replaced my controller recently for the same reason and it took about 30
min, including mounting the box to the wall, which was a bit different than
the previous model.

oups.com...

Old 30-07-2005, 03:12 AM
BobK207

I would recommend a Toro, I've installed 4 units, in four different
homes & the all worked sweet.

TORO AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER TIMER Model 5333X

it comes in 4, 6 & 8 station (valve) flavors

The 4 or 6 can be expanded to 8 by adding an interior connection
module(s)

cheers
Bob

Old 30-07-2005, 03:12 AM
BobK207

I would recommend a Toro, I've installed 4 units, in four different
homes & the all worked sweet.

TORO AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER TIMER Model 5333X

it comes in 4, 6 & 8 station (valve) flavors

The 4 or 6 can be expanded to 8 by adding an internal connection
module(s)

cheers
Bob

Old 01-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Paul

Anyone try one of these before?

http://www.wgldesigns.com/index.html

They look pretty good.

Old 03-08-2005, 05:39 AM
Jeff Volp

I've been using the basic X10 unit for a year. It gives a lot of
flexibility.

Jeff

ups.com...