Old 20-03-2003, 03:08 PM
paul

Default Plant compatibility

I'm in Brooklyn, NY, with NYC tap water. The plants that grow best in my
situation are anubias and java fern, vs. swords and crypts which don't grow
well at all. What other plants might grow well for me?

Old 21-03-2003, 03:08 AM

"paul" wrote in message .. .
I wasn't thinking of interactions, just given my water conditions what
plants would also grow well like java fern and annubias do in my tank.

As I recall, your tap water is pretty soft. If you raise the GH/KH to
3 degrees, you should be able to grow anything from a list of 300
species or so. Plants don't care as long as they have enough Ca/Mg
from the GH and KH is just part of the fuction of CO2. Plans only care
about CO2 level, not the KH or pH specifically. I've used waters from
0/0 GH/KH to 10KH/25GH.
The plants(all of them) do fine.

But if you dn't raise the GH/KH to these levels for one reason or
another, tougher hardier plants will do better generally. The plants
you mention are very tough.

Regards,
Tom Barr