Old 31-07-2005, 04:15 PM

Default How to deal with this ?

How to deal with this ?

My aunt ( a very old person) has a house in California...

She has had the home over 18 years now.

There are 2 trees whose roots are lifting the concrete pretty high.

She has been told that she needs to get rid of the trees and that there
is a "special something" that needs to be applied on the cut trunk
....or something...

Would anyone know what needs to be applied to the cut trunk to
permanently kill the trees?

Can anyone suggest a better way to get rid of these 2 trees ?

What do people normally do when the roots of a tree lift the concrete ?
How does one rectify such a

Thank you all in advance for your input,
Rita

Old 31-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Don Phillipson

wrote in message
oups.com...

There are 2 trees whose roots are lifting the concrete pretty high.
She has been told that she needs to get rid of the trees and that there
is a "special something" that needs to be applied on the cut trunk
...or something...

Would anyone know what needs to be applied to the cut trunk to
permanently kill the trees?

Essential information is omitted here. Chemicals can be used
either to suppress sprouting from the cutoff trunk or to accelerate
decay of the roots (which takes years).

Can anyone suggest a better way to get rid of these 2 trees ?

"Removal" means cutting down the tree, recutting the trunk at
ground level, and removal of debris. This is expensive. The main
alternative is to for the householder to do the job himself.

What do people normally do when the roots of a tree lift the concrete ?

They usually remove the tree, as recommended to this householder.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old 31-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Warren

Don Phillipson wrote:
What do people normally do when the roots of a tree lift the concrete ?

They usually remove the tree, as recommended to this householder.

Or remove the concrete.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Have an outdoor project? Get a Black & Decker power tool::
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/

Old 31-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Treedweller

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:30:08 -0700, "Warren"
wrote:

Don Phillipson wrote:
What do people normally do when the roots of a tree lift the concrete ?

They usually remove the tree, as recommended to this householder.

Or remove the concrete.

AMEN!

Studies (municipal) of sidewalk lifting have demonstrated that just as
many problems exist without trees being present as with. If the
concrete is installed correctly, there will be no tree-root problems.
If there are problems, removing the tree will not make them disappear
magically. Remove the slab and, if necessary, replace it using a
contractor who understands concepts such as reinforcement and soil
movement (and be aware that if the new slab installation cuts major
roots within a few feet of the trunk the tree will likely become
unstable). Better yet, replace it with a raised deck or other
non-invasive (to the roots) solution.

Old 31-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Warren

Treedweller wrote:
Warren wrote:
Don Phillipson wrote:
What do people normally do when the roots of a tree lift the concrete ?

They usually remove the tree, as recommended to this householder.

Or remove the concrete.

AMEN!

Studies (municipal) of sidewalk lifting have demonstrated that just as
many problems exist without trees being present as with. If the
concrete is installed correctly, there will be no tree-root problems.
If there are problems, removing the tree will not make them disappear
magically. Remove the slab and, if necessary, replace it using a
contractor who understands concepts such as reinforcement and soil
movement (and be aware that if the new slab installation cuts major
roots within a few feet of the trunk the tree will likely become
unstable). Better yet, replace it with a raised deck or other
non-invasive (to the roots) solution.

True. But I was thinking on an even more basic level: Is there any need for
the concrete to be there in the first place?

Rerouting a walkway may be a solution. As could removing an underused
section of driveway. Or relocating a patio. Why is the concrete there in the
first place???

Not only might it be easier to remove a slab of concrete than it is to
remove a mature tree, it may make more sense, too. The answer isn't
necessarily an ax. It could be a sledge hammer and pry bar.

That's even easier than rebuilding a concrete structure that doesn't need to
be there in the first place, and anyone who can swing a sledgehammer can do
it.

--
Warren H.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:36 AM
NZLANDSCAPES

I think we need all the trees we can get,,,
GET RID OF THE CONCRETE!

http://www.nzlandscapes.com
http://www.nzlandscapes.blogspot.com