Old 06-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Karla & Tom

Default hot house cucumbers

Good Day,
Does anyone know how to get seeds or plants for the Hot House Cucumbers sold
at the stores. grocery stores, super Wal-Mart,ect.
The wrapper says product of Canada.
They are rather long and usually always sold individually
wrapped in plastic.
I am guessing they are a Hydroponic product but I would like to try them in
a greenhouse setting.
Thanks in advance for your ideas and advice,
K&TB

Old 06-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Doug Kanter

"Karla & Tom" wrote in message
Good Day,
Does anyone know how to get seeds or plants for the Hot House Cucumbers
sold
at the stores. grocery stores, super Wal-Mart,ect.
The wrapper says product of Canada.
They are rather long and usually always sold individually
wrapped in plastic.
I am guessing they are a Hydroponic product but I would like to try them
in
a greenhouse setting.
Thanks in advance for your ideas and advice,
K&TB

Although you may find a variety with the words "hot house" in the name, it's
besides the point. Get in touch with a company like Harris Seeds, who
supplies professional growers. Here's a link to their cucumber page:

http://growers.harrisseeds.com/cart/....asp?subcat=32

If none of the seed descriptions help direct you to a variety that performs
well in greenhouses, call the company. There *might* be issues regarding day
length sensitivity that are not obvious in the descriptions.

Old 07-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Jan Flora

In article ,
"Karla & Tom" wrote:

Good Day,
Does anyone know how to get seeds or plants for the Hot House Cucumbers sold
at the stores. grocery stores, super Wal-Mart,ect.
The wrapper says product of Canada.
They are rather long and usually always sold individually
wrapped in plastic.
I am guessing they are a Hydroponic product but I would like to try them in
a greenhouse setting.
Thanks in advance for your ideas and advice,
K&TB

Those are called European or English cukes. (I forget which, but it's
one or the other.) They're parthogenic (or something like that -- they
don't need to be pollinated by insects/wind).

You can buy the seeds through any good seed house. The seed is expensive
and it's worth it.

Sorry I'm being so vague. My hay fever kicked into high gear today and
I'm not a happy girl. We only have another 190 acres of hay to put up
and my meds aren't working. (Yep, I'm whining.)

Jan
59N, 151W USDA Zone 3

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:19 AM
presley

"Jan Flora" wrote in message
Those are called European or English cukes. (I forget which, but it's
one or the other.) They're parthogenic (or something like that -- they
don't need to be pollinated by insects/wind).

You can buy the seeds through any good seed house. The seed is expensive
and it's worth it.

Sorry I'm being so vague. My hay fever kicked into high gear today and
I'm not a happy girl. We only have another 190 acres of hay to put up
and my meds aren't working. (Yep, I'm whining.)

Jan
59N, 151W USDA Zone 3

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.

I think I have read that these must also be protected from pollination by
bees or other pollinators in order to keep them from developing seeds. Maybe
they are wrapped in floating fabric or something to protect them. Their
whole appeal is in the lack of seeds. I guess some people find that the
seeds are what cause the burpiness cucumbers are famous for.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:07 PM
SVTKate

Are they the burpless cucumbers?
I bet it would be like getting seeds for the seedless watermelons

Kate

"Karla & Tom" wrote in message
: Good Day,
: Does anyone know how to get seeds or plants for the Hot House Cucumbers
sold
: at the stores. grocery stores, super Wal-Mart,ect.
: The wrapper says product of Canada.
: They are rather long and usually always sold individually
: wrapped in plastic.
: I am guessing they are a Hydroponic product but I would like to try them
in
: a greenhouse setting.
: Thanks in advance for your ideas and advice,
: K&TB
:
:
:
:

Old 09-08-2005, 08:48 AM
Jan Flora

In article ,
"presley" wrote:

"Jan Flora" wrote in message
[...]

Huh, I've never heard that. One of the neighbors grows those cukes to
sell at our Farmer's Market. I'll ask him. (Although I didn't notice
any wrapped cuke plants when I was in his greenhouse a few weeks ago.)

Jan

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:34 PM

: Good Day,
: Does anyone know how to get seeds or plants for the Hot House Cucumbers sold
: at the stores. grocery stores, super Wal-Mart,ect.
: The wrapper says product of Canada.
: They are rather long and usually always sold individually
: wrapped in plastic.
: I am guessing they are a Hydroponic product but I would like to try them in
: a greenhouse setting.
: Thanks in advance for your ideas and advice,
: K&TB

They are "English" cucumbers, which also have several other names. Check
out http://www.foodsubs.com/Squcuke.html and then go hit the seed vendors.

[IMG] code is On

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Hot pepper's not hot?? Pepperqueen Gardening 2 13-08-2004 03:23 PM