Old 08-08-2005, 02:27 AM
G Burton

Default No flowers no more!

I seem to have a general decline in blooming flowers -- particularly
with my gardenias, snap draggons, and (to a lesser extent) my roses. I
suspect it is related to watering. Which is more likely to cause that --
too much water, or too little?

--
Loudette Burton

Old 08-08-2005, 02:47 AM
G Burton

It has been very hot lately, but it seems to me that it is no hotter
than it was when I had more blooms.

"Cereus-validus......." wrote in message
.. .
How about too hot?

Old 08-08-2005, 03:23 AM
Cereus-validus.......

Wherever it is you are on the planet.

How many hot days have you had in a row this summer?

Old 08-08-2005, 04:30 AM
G Burton

About 10. I think that's pretty normal for this time of year, though.

I'm in Fairfield Ca. Western Garden zone 14.

What is the limit on the number of hot days?

How does the heat affect blossoms?

Are Gardenias any more susceptible than other flowers?

. ..

Old 09-08-2005, 02:13 AM
mleblanca

G Burton wrote:
I seem to have a general decline in blooming flowers -- particularly
with my gardenias, snap draggons, and (to a lesser extent) my roses. I
suspect it is related to watering. Which is more likely to cause that --
too much water, or too little?

--
Loudette Burton

Hi Loudette
Yes, the loooonnnggg heat wave is affecting all flowers.

Snapdragons are rarely able to get thru summer anyway. Pull them out.
They are a cool season plant, just like pansies. Even if they do
struggle thru the summer, they do poorly the second season, and are
covered with rust. Get rid of them and plan to put something else
there when it gets a little cooler.
I always get mine out about mid July or earlier.

Roses don't really like this heat either. They will continue to flower,
but the blossoms will be smaller. They need a lot of water in the
heat, and wash the foliage off in the a.m with the hose or sprinkler
every week. Have you given them a good dose of fertilizer lately?
They would enjoy some fish emulsion or alfalfa pellets. And mulch
them.

Gardenias can be finicky. ARe yours in full sun or afternoon sun?
Mine are both in shade for the afternoon. One gets very little water
and the other gets watered twice a week. They are both OK, but the
watered one looks much greener and happier. They generally do not
bloom much in the heat of summer, but will bloom in early fall.

How is the Lilac doing?

Emilie
NorCal Sacramento Valley
Where we have had about 5 days under 90 during July

Old 09-08-2005, 04:33 AM
G Burton

Your're helping me again!! Good to talk to you!

The lilac looks terrible. A couple of the small branches are OK, but
essentially all the other branches have had their leaves brown up and fall
off. There are buds where the leaves were, but the buds aren't budding --
at least not yet. Some of the buds look pretty dead and others look pretty
much alive. I think your advice was correct. I was just a little late. I
am watering it a lot now, and praying a little.

Thanks for the infor about the flowers. I'll quit worrying so much.

"mleblanca" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 09-08-2005, 08:04 AM
NZLANDSCAPES

'Roses don't really like this heat either. They will continue to
flower,
but the blossoms will be smaller. They need a lot of water in the
heat, and wash the foliage off in the a.m with the hose or sprinkler
every week. Have you given them a good dose of fertilizer lately?
They would enjoy some fish emulsion or alfalfa pellets. And mulch
them.'

I fully agree with this advise, also you may like to try a few banana
skins chopped up and mixed into and spread around with the mulch that
you use around your roses. The gases released ( Ethylene ) from the
banana skins breaking down will release into the air around your roses
and promote flowering. The skins help to fertilize your plants also. I
use approx 4-5 chopped skins / plant once every couple of weeks
depending on the amount of hungry worms your soil has.
Try to raise your rose garden beds for drainage.
Add organic matter, leaf mould or compost to the soil.
Keep roses well watered.
The roses i have grow in the past loved the hand held hose spray,
daily, in the morning for a couple of mins each bush, spray leaves,
flowers and all. During really hot weather they liked a quick hose
spray on soil level at dusk aswell. Beware of fungal attack on the
lower leaves
P.S. Bananas are great in a cake.

www.nzlandscapes.com
www.nzlandscapes.blogspot.com