Old 12-08-2005, 05:39 PM
E. Graeme Smith

Default Dried Out Container Garden...

Hi,

I have a rooftop container garden with a southwest exposure that keep
drying out, and I am tired of having to constantly water it. What can I do
to keep the moisture levels up, (and my time investment down)?

I am using mainly plastic containers, ( i.e. troughs, window boxes, and
pots), and a few terra cotta containers of different shapes and sizes.

My basil is doing well, (but from what I understand it is a tough plant
and it can take it). I have tried Greek basil this year and enjoyed them
more for the esthetics that the taste. They were a nice green earlier in
the summer, but have now gotten really lame. I think this is partly caused
by the containers I used and partly due to my lack of knowledge about them.

The tomatoes ALWAYS have shrivelled leaves by August not matter what I try.
My attempts at other types of plants have had mixed results. For example,
two out of the three rosemary plants have dried out, but all three are in
the same pot.

This year I cut back on the number of tomatoe plants and have stayed
mainly with cherry tomatoe varieties. I find they produce the most fruit
and the squirrls won't be doing as much damage by staling a few of them. I
don't want to nurse a nice beefstake for several months only to have the
little rodents rob me of my rewards.

My best producers have been the cucumbers. This year I tried several types
including: Lebanese, English, Straight 8, and pickling. All of them have
done well.

If anyone has suggestions-or links-as to a solution to my situation, I am
will to listen

Thanks,

E. Graeme Smith
--
Never argue with idiots, they only drag you down to their level then beat
you with experience
Old 12-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Frank Logullo

"E. Graeme Smith" wrote in message

Hi,

I have a rooftop container garden with a southwest exposure that keep
drying out, and I am tired of having to constantly water it. What can I do
to keep the moisture levels up, (and my time investment down)?

I water mine once a day but essentially drown them. Pots have hole or I
make holes so that there is no standing water.
Only time I miss a day is when there is heavy rain.
Frank

Old 12-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Doug Kanter

You could investigate a drip system, if you have a hose attachment up there.
And, based on your descriptions of symptoms, especially the tomatoes, I'll
guess that your containers are all too small. Whatever size you think is
right, triple it next year. And, find ways to shade the pots themselves. Not
many plants want their roots as hot as the air temperature above.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Jennifer

E. Graeme Smith wrote:
Hi,

I have a rooftop container garden with a southwest exposure that keep
drying out, and I am tired of having to constantly water it. What can I do
to keep the moisture levels up, (and my time investment down)?

A friend of mine has been growing a container garden for the last few
years. This year, she switched mostly to self-watering planters like
these: http://www.naturalspring.com/natsprinplan.html

She still has to water regularly, but she thinks the reservoirs helped
a lot.

--
Jennifer

Old 12-08-2005, 10:03 PM
paghat

In article , (E.
Graeme Smith) wrote:

[...]

If you built a loosely structured pergola it would provide a little bit of
shade for plants that cannot tolerate more than six hours sunlight, plus
you could puthanging baskets inside the pergola increasing the amount of
space that can be planted. Building wood climbing pyramids for the tomatos
out of wide slats would permit the tomatoe vines to self-select how much
they want to be in the sun. Mulching the containers will hold moisture in
a bit longer. Drip systems that run water to each individual pot or
container will deliver water more slowly over time instead of all at once,
& starter kit is not at all expensive. They can take a lot of fussing to
keep running well but a rooftop garden wouldn't be hard to keep them in
top performance without too much tinkering. The drips can even be run from
timers so you can leave town for a few days without returning to dried out
plants.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html

Old 13-08-2005, 02:16 PM
bungadora

Try lining your terra cotta pots with plastic. Then there is mulching
on top. You might also try those water bead thing that are mixed into
the soil. They're available at garden centres or if you're hard
pressed, tear them out of cheap diapers. You can also increase the size
of pot used.

Then there is the surfacing on your roof. IMHO heat is being retained
by the roof surface, and it is 'ovening' your plants. It is like
everything in your garden was planted beside a wall. So you can look
at ways to cover the roof/floor to reduce heat retention, either with
wood walkways, fiber matting or carpet, or whatever. Or painting it
white might help.
Dora

E. Graeme Smith wrote:
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Dried out window boxes Chris[_14_] Gardening 5 28-10-2010 01:10 AM
Watering Large dried out pots... JennyC United Kingdom 11 30-06-2005 11:40 PM
Dried out Acer Simon United Kingdom 5 05-09-2003 01:42 PM
Dried out Bonsai Babboo Bonsai 1 13-03-2003 03:20 AM
[IBC] Dried out Bonsai Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 13-03-2003 02:32 AM